Author Topic: 1969 Camaro SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts  (Read 5273 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
1969 Camaro SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
When I purchased my '69 Z it had a few Day 2 parts installed including headers.  I located a set of date coded, original exhaust manifolds (and smog system) to replace the headers however I used new, commonly available replacement bolts. I have not been able to locate a photo showing close-up head details of assembly line correct SB exhaust manifold bolts and recently came across the photos below.  The head detail on these early bolts is similar to the reproductions however they do differ somewhat. Note a single ring and N stamping which I assume identifies the manufacturer (National?).

- Has anyone come across these early bolts, are they assembly line correct or incorrect service replacements?

- Does anyone have close up photos of original, assembly line installed exhaust manifold bolts?  

Reproduction SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Early Manifold Bolts - Original?

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
Lloyd....don't know for sure about the '69 but my original '68 Z28 has two different manufacturers for the exhaust manifold bolts.  One side had the raised circle bolts with a "RSC" inside the circle.  The other side had a flatter circle on the head with a squiggly "X" inside the circle.  My computer that has my camera software on it is down right now so I can't send a photo at present.  Will try later tonight when I get it back up, that is if your interested.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:50:56 PM »
Lloyd....don't know for sure about the '69 but my original '68 Z28 has two different manufacturers for the exhaust manifold bolts.  One side had the raised circle bolts with a "RSC" inside the circle.  The other side had a flatter circle on the head with a squiggly "X" inside the circle.  My computer that has my camera software on it is down right now so I can't send a photo at present.  Will try later tonight when I get it back up, that is if your interested.

Yes, I'm interested Jerry, please post photos when you can.  I would like to see examples of head markings from a few known original cars as well determine if the photos of the bolts I posted are correct.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:17:50 AM by Edgemontvillage »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
Lloyd....don't know for sure about the '69 but my original '68 Z28 has two different manufacturers for the exhaust manifold bolts.  One side had the raised circle bolts with a "RSC" inside the circle.  The other side had a flatter circle on the head with a squiggly "X" inside the circle.  My computer that has my camera software on it is down right now so I can't send a photo at present.  Will try later tonight when I get it back up, that is if your interested.

Yes, I'm interested Jerry, please post photos when you can.  I would like to see examples of head markings from a few known original cars as well determine if the photos of the bolts I posted are correct.

Each engine plant used 66,000 exhaust manifold bolts every single day, and you can bet they didn't all come from the same supplier; this is recognized in NCRS Corvette Flight Judging.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
Lloyd....two different manifold bolts on same engine....

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:59:22 AM »
Interesting head marking detail, thanks Jerry.