CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 01:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106503 Posts in 12421 Topics by 4787 Members
Latest Member: Oilron14
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Originality
| | |-+  1969 Camaro SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1969 Camaro SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts  (Read 840 times)
Edgemontvillage

View Profile Email
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

When I purchased my '69 Z it had a few Day 2 parts installed including headers.  I located a set of date coded, original exhaust manifolds (and smog system) to replace the headers however I used new, commonly available replacement bolts. I have not been able to locate a photo showing close-up head details of assembly line correct SB exhaust manifold bolts and recently came across the photos below.  The head detail on these early bolts is similar to the reproductions however they do differ somewhat. Note a single ring and N stamping which I assume identifies the manufacturer (National?).

- Has anyone come across these early bolts, are they assembly line correct or incorrect service replacements?

- Does anyone have close up photos of original, assembly line installed exhaust manifold bolts?  

Reproduction SB Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Early Manifold Bolts - Original?

Lloyd
1969 RS Z/28 10 10 Preservation
1968 Z28

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »

Lloyd....don't know for sure about the '69 but my original '68 Z28 has two different manufacturers for the exhaust manifold bolts.  One side had the raised circle bolts with a "RSC" inside the circle.  The other side had a flatter circle on the head with a squiggly "X" inside the circle.  My computer that has my camera software on it is down right now so I can't send a photo at present.  Will try later tonight when I get it back up, that is if your interested.

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles
Edgemontvillage

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »

Lloyd....don't know for sure about the '69 but my original '68 Z28 has two different manufacturers for the exhaust manifold bolts.  One side had the raised circle bolts with a "RSC" inside the circle.  The other side had a flatter circle on the head with a squiggly "X" inside the circle.  My computer that has my camera software on it is down right now so I can't send a photo at present.  Will try later tonight when I get it back up, that is if your interested.

Yes, I'm interested Jerry, please post photos when you can.  I would like to see examples of head markings from a few known original cars as well determine if the photos of the bolts I posted are correct.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:17:50 PM by Edgemontvillage » Logged

Lloyd
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »

Lloyd....don't know for sure about the '69 but my original '68 Z28 has two different manufacturers for the exhaust manifold bolts.  One side had the raised circle bolts with a "RSC" inside the circle.  The other side had a flatter circle on the head with a squiggly "X" inside the circle.  My computer that has my camera software on it is down right now so I can't send a photo at present.  Will try later tonight when I get it back up, that is if your interested.

Yes, I'm interested Jerry, please post photos when you can.  I would like to see examples of head markings from a few known original cars as well determine if the photos of the bolts I posted are correct.

Each engine plant used 66,000 exhaust manifold bolts every single day, and you can bet they didn't all come from the same supplier; this is recognized in NCRS Corvette Flight Judging.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
1968 Z28

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »

Lloyd....two different manifold bolts on same engine....

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles
Edgemontvillage

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »

Interesting head marking detail, thanks Jerry.

Lloyd
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: