Author Topic: Need help on IDing a 69 RS-SS ???  (Read 13163 times)

RS-SS

• View Profile
Need help on IDing a 69 RS-SS ???
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:30:23 AM »
Hello...Newbie onboard...  I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 69 Camaro (still searching but the funds are there) I looked at a suppose 69 RS-SS that's seems solid and the price is fair.  It looks to be an older paint job, guessing late 80's early 90's and in blue.  It's a code 72 Hugger orange and I found signs of orange under the blue in a few area's ( hood edge and headlight covers/doors.  Anyway the options for an RS are there, backup lights on the rear valance, headlight doors, side by side hood scoops etc.  But my worry is there is no info on the fisher tag showing any SS/RS info. I understand the 3rd week in October, Black vinyl top, black interior and Hugger Orange but no SS or RS proof.  The vinyl top has been removed and it currently has a big block the current owner installed Pic's below and any input is welcomed. 

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: Need help on IDing a 69 RS-SS ???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
No there won't be any info on the trim tag to support the born with RS/SS for your build date X codes were not being stamped so a visual inspection is the only verification.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
That sounds like a potentially nice car.  Early cars (as the one under consideration is) did not have X codes, but it sounds like the evidence is there for an SS/RS.   Re the SS hood, you can check the back corner of the hood, corner nearest to the driver, on the rear most edge of the side of the hood on the area where the metal gets more narrow for a 1 or 2 digit numeral.    Originally installed factory hoods received a stamp there for the 'WEEK' of the year they were produced.   For your October car, you'd expect to find a date in the 20s to 40 range...  that would suggest your hood was installed on a Camaro in the factory, and not purchased OTC...  and if the hood has the same orange factory lacquer residue under the blue as the rest of the car, would again suggest it was installed on that particular car in the factory.   Since there's no hard proof, you have to take all the little things you can find and hope it 'adds' up to an SS/RS.  Good luck!

PS.  Attach some pix of the car when you can..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
IF its an SS it will have a 3"x5" welded steel plate behind the driver's side rear wheel, on the frame rail and it will have 2holes in it for dual exhaust hanger... only the dual exhaust coupes had this plate there. Very rarely someone has tried to fake that plate but if its original (post pics of it) the car came from the factory with dual exhaust. Keep in mind you could order dual exhaust on any V8 engine too, not just SS or Z28.
 If its true RS there should be a 2nd solenoid on top of the wiper motor and hoses going up to headlight squirters above each headlight. There should be a large black vacuum container on drivers side inner fender and hoses to the headlight doors, plus hoses up to the headlight switch. The rear back up light holes should be stamped out cleanly, not cut with a torch.
 Thats a few things you can find for yourself or have current owner check out for you.
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
So if she is true and you do pull the trigger are you going to restore her to the original specs of 711 - standard black interior, 72 Hugger Orange with B black vinyl top?

TeamCamaro - Moderator

RS-SS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
Looks like I can to the right place, Great info.  Here are the pic's I have there not the greatest...

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »
Looks like a 3 or 4 speed shifter/transmission, but it has and automatic brake pedal unless I'm missing something..Do you now if it has a 10 or 12 bolt rear end...

TMR
Eddie
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
Looking good based on your photos. Crawl under and look for rust if it is a road salt state, or storm Sandy states. Just a few things to restore the interior such as correct steering wheel, loose the aftermarket tachometer and remove or add back the missing woodgrain dash (drivers side has it pass side does not). But all in all a honey of a 69.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
Since the car is an early pre x code car, here is some good reading to do your research. Use this information and see if it matches what you find on the car.
http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml

A real 69 SS should have:
1. 12 bolt rear end.
2. Multi leaf  rear springs
3. front disk brakes
4. dual exhaust with the previously mentioned plate on the driver's rear frame
5.  ss hood with insulation
6. Rear brake line regulator valve found mounted on the frame rail under the driver's door.

RS equipmetn includes:  http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#id
Back up lights in the lower rear panel with holes stamped in the panel for the wiring.
1.00 dia" hole stamped in the fire wall to the right of the brake booster for the vacuum lines.

Mine is an SS/RS so if you need any photos for comparison just let me know.

RS-SS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »
Looks like a 3 or 4 speed shifter/transmission, but it has and automatic brake pedal unless I'm missing something..Do you now if it has a 10 or 12 bolt rear end...

TMR
Eddie

Eddie it's a old dual gate automatic shifter and has a 12 bolt.  Pic below...

And 69pace I am and it is in Illinois and been around this area for along time so it had "Salt Life" it's life. It does have rust through on the passenger side back floor board, not real bad.  Good point is the current owner has owned it the last 10-12 years and raced it time to time at the local drag strip so it's been summer use for a 1/4 of it's life..

By the way...I went to a local show today and loved this original 69 SS Ragtop, Yes it's alittle dented, rusty, faded and top is rough, (hood was painted at one time) but there only original once.  The underside is clean and driveline has been rebuilt and he drives it everywhere and knows what he has.

RS-SS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 11:47:49 PM »
Since the car is an early pre x code car, here is some good reading to do your research. Use this information and see if it matches what you find on the car.
http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml

A real 69 SS should have:
1. 12 bolt rear end.
2. Multi leaf  rear springs
3. front disk brakes
4. dual exhaust with the previously mentioned plate on the driver's rear frame
5.  ss hood with insulation
6. Rear brake line regulator valve found mounted on the frame rail under the driver's door.

RS equipmetn includes:  http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#id
Back up lights in the lower rear panel with holes stamped in the panel for the wiring.
1.00 dia" hole stamped in the fire wall to the right of the brake booster for the vacuum lines.

Mine is an SS/RS so if you need any photos for comparison just let me know.

Thanks Mickey, If I buy it I'll take you up on that...

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »
It probably has a X (1) (2) on the rear bulkhead behind the upper rear seat cushion.  X2 would be SS Big Block with style trim, X1 would be small block style trim.  (all RS are style trim cars but not all style trim cars are RS)
Since it appears the car wasn't stripped if you buy the car remove the rear bumper and sand the paint off behind one of the center bumper brackets, see if there looks to be black over the original orange, a black tail pan would indicate a Big Block SS. 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

1slow64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:48:42 AM »
doesn't look to bad if the price is right.
69 X66 RALLY GREEN BLACK COMFORT WEAVE

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »
Not enough info to prove it's an SS.
I'd start with the axle code and # of fuel lines.
Discs?

and remove or add back the missing woodgrain dash (drivers side has it pass side does not).
Car has Z23 - it should have woodgrain on the driver's side and the passenger side got just the grab handle.
Kurt S
CRG

RS-SS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
Here are a few under the hood pic's.  The 454 was recently installed.  A couple pic's are squished...