Author Topic: Camaro 69 Z28?  (Read 4331 times)

Edgardolo

• View Profile
Camaro 69 Z28?
« on: June 05, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
I decoded this Camaro and it resulted to show that it was a Z28 car. I just wanna see if you can corroborate the info and tell me if is enough with saying that it has Z28 trim to be an original Z28. Other question is that the car has as RS grill and the badges, how I know if it is indeed an original RS car.

Another thing is that the cowl tag is for a car without vinyl top and the car has it.

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Camaro 69 Z28?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
It couldn't have been a factory RS Z/28 without the X33 tag, so that is a good sign, it's possibly original RS. But likely the car has been restored at some point if so, the tag looks to have been masked and painted around, and it is missing the rocker spears, wheelhouse/fender lip trim and the quarter louvers that an X33 car should have. The driver's side forward driprail trim has slipped down or been installed too low too, plus the vinyl roof has been added as you noted. Fender/hood/cowl alignment needs adjusting. Minor stuff, save for removing the vinyl roof; but I'd leave it, it looks good and breaks up the Frost Green nicely IMHO.
If you know it, check the VIN falls within the correct range for that build date. Also there are many clues to look for that can provide hints to the car being a genuine RS/Z (or not), lots of good info on this forum and the CRG articles. Firewall piercings and stamped backup light holes are a couple of examples of original RS details to look for, and for a Z, look for the axle assembly code and partial VIN on both the block and transmission.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Edgardolo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
It couldn't have been a factory RS Z/28 without the X33 tag, so it's possibly original RS. But likely the car has been restored at some point if so, the tag looks to have been masked and painted around, and it is missing the rocker spears, wheelhouse lip trim and the quarter louvers that an X33 car should have. The driver's side forward driprail trim has slipped down or been installed too low too, plus the vinyl roof has been added as you noted. Fender/hood/cowl alignment needs adjusting. Minor stuff, save for removing the vinyl roof; but I'd leave it, it looks good and breaks up the Frost Green nicely IMHO.
If you know it, check the VIN falls within the correct range for that build date.

So you believe is an original Z28? You believe is a good car to buy??

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
No idea whatsoever, tag looks good to me but I am far from a reliable source upon which to make a decision. Do your research and homework, get an inspection by Jerry MacNeish if you're serious about buying the car. There are so many fakes out there, you need all of the info and details of the car and it's components to decide.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »
made me do a double take..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 08:21:19 PM »
We can help a bit more if you post more pics. Like the motor stamp, trans stamp, rear end stamp, any original docs. Pics of the rear valance (inside if possible),  and engine pics will help. Research, research and more research before talking price or thinking of buying.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 02:18:05 AM »
It couldn't have been a factory RS Z/28 without the X33 tag
I just wanted to clarify my earlier statement, to avoid any confusion. That was specifically with regard to this car, that has an X33 tag; obviously an early-built NOR, or any LOS, RS/Z would not have an X33 tag.
Tim in Australia.

anything