Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

'yellow light' AM/FM radio?

(1/7) > >>

69Z28-RS:
A few days ago, a friend suggested that there were yellow light am/fm radios, that may have been used part of the year on 1969 Camaros.   All I've ever heard or seen were blue light.   Is there any truth to that??

bertfam:
Yes, toward the end of the year when the 1970 was supposed to debut. But because the 69 model year ran long, the yellow light AM/FM was used. The exact transition date is unknown, but it appears to be sometime in June, 1969.

Ed

BULLITT65:
This is also mentioned in John Hoopers book The 1969 Camaro reference book, along with how many were sold( 8271 yellow, vs 2359 blue). The yellow also had a different option number of RPO U69, and the blue was RPO U79. It might be a handy book to have in your library.
John Hoopers book covers some different aspects than Jerrys, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, most of the info is similar of coarse, but Hoopers book has some neat little tid bits, like the RS option added almost 30lbs to the curb weight of the car along with many other interesting options and facts. You may find it a good read as well.

Mark:
U69 was the AM/FM Mono radio option.  Both the Blue light and the Yellow light AM/FM Multiplex radios were option U79.  The Bluelight radio had the separate multiplex amplifier unit installed up above the glove box, the yellow light version was a self contained unit that didn't require the separate multiplex amplifier and was the immediate predessor of the 1970 version of the AM/FM stereo radio..

69Z28-RS:

--- Quote from: BULLITT65 on August 06, 2013, 07:32:34 PM ---This is also mentioned in John Hoopers book The 1969 Camaro reference book, along with how many were sold( 8271 yellow, vs 2359 blue). The yellow also had a different option number of RPO U69, and the blue was RPO U79. It might be a handy book to have in your library.
John Hoopers book covers some different aspects than Jerrys, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, most of the info is similar of coarse, but Hoopers book has some neat little tid bits, like the RS option added almost 30lbs to the curb weight of the car along with many other interesting options and facts. You may find it a good read as well.

--- End quote ---

I've had that book since it was first published, and I probably read it cover to cover way back, but obviously didn't pay enough attention to the am/fm radios, since my car only had the am... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page