Author Topic: Rear Axle Stamp  (Read 9804 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
Rear Axle Stamp
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:15:26 PM »
I purchased the "By the Numbers" book and to say the least, it is loaded with tons of info.I have been taking down numbers from my 67 Camaro and have been finding out as I was told at time of purchase, almost all the drive train is not original. But I am not sure about the rear axle. The numbers that I could find are "BP0403GG2, which from what I find in "BTN" is a 2:73 gear built on April 3rd at Detroit Gear on the 2nd shift in 1968. I have also been told that this is a correct date for a 67.Any thoughts CRG????? Am I deciphering it wrong?  By the way, the build date for my car is the First week of April 67.

Thanks

dab67

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Axle Stamp
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »
If it is a 67 axle, the BP stands for a 3.08 ratio.  This is the standard ratio for non SS cars.  The date looks ok for the build date of the car.  Not sure I have seen two G's in the stamp before.
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
Dab, as you probably saw in "BTN", 67 Camaros only used codes starting with P and Q. You should check the casting date http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#RearAxleNumbers You are dechiphering correctly, BP is 2:73 non-posi for 68 and 69, but double check your stamp, maybe that first letter really is a P. However, I also saw in another thread that my 1994 copyright "BTN" may be outdated on some things. If someone has evidence that 67 camaros used a "B" code, I would sure like to know! :)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »
Dan:

I double entered the "G" by mistake, there is only one G on the axle.

RJ: I will try and scrub some more of the dirt and grime off the axle. Going by the book, I thought it was a 68, I was under the same impression regarding the letters and the years. Reading Dan's comments, it makes me wonder which is right.

Thanks for both replies

Dave

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:05:34 PM »
Very similar to my '69 axle:
BP = 2.73:1 open
1018 = October 18,1968
G = Detroit Gear and Axle Plant
1 = Day Shift
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 11:41:25 PM »
Thanks Rich:
I should have looked a little farther in the book and saw the '69. So the chances are I may have a 68 or 69. Which may fall in line with other numbers I have found on parts for the engine. Like the intake manifold,and exhaust manifolds. Those numbers are definetly '68. The heads though are "0462" with cast dates of Dec. '66.  I haven't had a chance to get down at clean more off the axle, but I believe more and more that it is "BP". I'll let you know soon. And I can't get at the engine block numbers, I believe part of the linkage for the powerglide tranny runs across the section of the block where the numbers are suppose to be, at least that is what I think it is. I guess the only chance I am going to have to see those numbers is if I pull the engine or drop the tranny.

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 01:29:07 AM »
Dave,

My motor and transmission isn't original, and I have the exact same problem with the linkage.  The powerglide linkage runs right across where the numbers are.  When we had it up on the rack last Feb., I asked my favorite mechanic about looking under the linkage for the numbers.  He said, "Are you really sure you want to do that?!?"  And gave me a look that would cut steel.  I don't suppose the fact that we had worked for two hours setting the passing gear, etc. had much to do with it.  ::)

If you are brave enough to pull it off for a look, let me know how it goes!

BTW, headed for my favorite show, swap, etc. in September.  Wish me luck!

Phillip
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 04:36:06 AM »
Powerglide kickdown linkage.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »
Phillip and Rich:
Thanks for the replies and pitcture. I was pretty sure it had something to do with the linkage. I to had the linkage adjusted this spring. And to answer your question Phillip regarding "do I want to do it?" Not really but how else do I get to see the numbers and find out what I have? Speaking of your favorite swap meet Phillip, how about picking me up a dust cover for the powerglide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still haven't found one!!!!!!

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
Dave,

I'll look for the cover... email me about how much are you willing to pay before Sept 15.  I have no clue about its value.

So, from Rich's picture I'm assuming that the powerglide linkage is always a problem on getting the numbers --unless you move the linkage or have the motor out???  Bummer!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 03:59:36 PM »
Phillip:

e-mail is on it's way. And Thanks a ton for taking the time to do this for me, it is greatly appreciated whether you find one or not. I would have never guessed it would be this difficult to find this item.

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
Anyone else have any thoughts on whether this a 67 or 68 rear axle?

dab67

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 06:02:54 PM »
The only way to tell that is to look at the casting date on the Pumpkin,

HERE'S THE LINK to where you'll find it.

Ed

anything