Author Topic: 67 RS?  (Read 11729 times)

vmdoc2106

• View Profile
67 RS?
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:14:40 PM »
I have had a 1967 since the age of 14.  Any way to find out if true RS or is it a clone... no way to contact previous owner
VIN is 124377N129996

Cowl Tag:

11B                 E
67    12437  NOR 30257
760-Z                Y-Y
2L

Car also has vinyl top...don't think original
any help would be great

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
Re: 67 RS?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
All I get from this is floor shift 4speed and no vinyl top.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  Dave

vmdoc2106

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:56:18 PM »
the lower valance panel on this when i purchased it, has the turn signals below the bumper, and i do have the head lamp doors and motors for the RS feature, also the tail lights are solid red, leading me to believe that it was an RS, however, the tail light panel has no cut outs for the back up lights below the bumper.  it is possible that this had been replaced prior to my buying the car.  all i have is what i've already posted...
   thanks dave for your information, just trying to documnet as much as possible before i go for a complete rebuild

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:30:23 PM »
Its not likely that somebody replaced the rear valance and didn't cut the holes for the backup lights. However under the left fender behind the headlight assembly there should be 3 relays(they're mounted on a plate that bolts to the fender) for the electric motors that run the headlights,if not the relays, at least the wiring.Additionally the front fenders for a RS are different where the headlight assembly mounts. However if you have standard fenders there is a aftermarket bracket available to add the RS assemblies. Everything you mentioned is the easy part when converting to a RS. The wiring which is not already there has to be changed,holes cut for the backup lights,holes drilled in the inner fender for the grommet and wiring for the front parking lights/turn signals to pass through and then changing the headlight switch in the dash,relays and relay wiring and lastly mounting the motors and headlight assemblies.

vmdoc2106

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:08:30 PM »
forgive me, it has been many years since i have seen my car, it was last licensed in 1991...in storage since that winter... i have just been reunited with it..all these years 650 miles and 1 divorce later... the car does have the wiring and relays under the left fender,  when i bought the car it was in dire need of some attention,  i did replace the entire front end sheet metal except for the hood and lower valance panel.  every indication it was an RS car, but what gives with the rear end.... solid red tail lights with no back-up lights..no wiring present that i can tell for back-up lights...is it possible that it didn't come with them??  everything i have read since i got the car back 3 weeks ago, including the build information from GM says they all came with back-up lights...when looking at replacement body parts, tail-light panels require "you" have to cut out if RS equipped... was this the case 15 to 20 years ago as well??  there is no need to replace the tail-light panel in this car, and i have had this panel to bare metal...no holes have ever been in this one...anyone????

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 07:34:53 AM »
To my knowledge the GM replacement tail panels didn't have the holes for the backup lights .The GM panel that was just installed on my RS had to have the holes cut, I've had that panel for over 10 years and I bought it from another person that had it for a number of years.There should be wiring in the trunk for the reverse lights they go through the floor one on each side. The solid red taillights don't tell you anything, the lenses can easily be changed and it's just as easy to change the entire light assembly, as a matter of fact that is probably the easiest part of the entire conversion. There is no way that car left GM without reverse lights.   

Daral

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
The Cowl tag code for an RS is 3L (RPO Z22, Rally Sport Equipment) it should be on the third liine.  Look to see if you have the wires for the backup lights.  They would have gone through the trunk floor just above where the lights should be.  If it was an RS, these wires may have been cut and covered with tape.
67 RS/SS 350

vmdoc2106

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 10:40:30 PM »
well, thanks for everyones input...i did check the cowl tag for the 3L (RPO Z22)  it isn't there...what i orignally posted is what is there...trust me, i have checked a number of times trying to decode  it down myself
i think what i am dealing with is a clone...the wires are in the trunk for tail lights as well..like you said, they were
taped up, but present.    None the less if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts about this car, i would greatly
appriciate it
what has me puzzled is that everything is present for the RS option on the outside of the car....doors, relays etc.
is there anthing under the dash that would be a giveaway as to what this car truely is...i have not done anything with the wiring harnasses or any under dash investigating...if someone went through the trouble of hanging the sheet metal for an RS what would they have missed elsewhere...note the doors where not on the car wheni bought it....i have not put them either, so i cannot honestly say that they even work
my guess is the car was a base model camaro with a V-8, 4 sd on the floor, butternut yellow with black interior...again ideas and input....thanks in advance

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
Without the 3L on the cowl tag, the car can not be an RS.  You have it correct: "my guess is the car was a base model camaro with a V-8, 4 sd on the floor, butternut yellow with black interior".  I might add that the V8 was one of two engines - 327/210H (LF7) or 327/275H (L30).
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

vmdoc2106

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 03:01:58 AM »
thanks for everyones input and adivice...now that i can get started, i look forwrd to leaning on everyone in the future for more information and advice...talk to you all real soon

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 05:46:25 AM »
I recently ran across a 68 sitting in a side yard and from the back it looked like a standard SS car (red & white tail lights and ss gas cap) and walked around the front only to find a perfect R/S front clip. The car had been sitting since 1991 and the ugly red paint job was all faded evenly. I believe the whole front clip had been changed in the past before it was painted red since none of the other R/S stuff was present. Could be the case here, that the whole clip was changed. Yours actually went further with the tail light lens change. Good luck with the restore, Dan