Author Topic: True SS?  (Read 4498 times)

lumpofcole

• View Profile
True SS?
« on: July 26, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »
I'm brand new to the forums, but seeing as I'm thinking about buying a 68, here we go.

I have contacted a guy about a 68 "SS".  He bought it from a dealership, and I just found out some weird stuff.  However, some of the numbers seem to check out, so I wanted to get a feel for your opinions.  Here's the story...
The current owner bought it from a dealership, and was told the following story.  A previous corvette collector had this car in California.  It was stolen and the VIN ripped off.  The car was later collected, but a California law prevents the highway patrol from reattaching a VIN tag, and so it was issued a CHP VIN.  It sounds like a pretty convenient story if you ask me, but I actually talked to the dealer who sold it 9 years ago, and he assures me that he knew the owner, and everything was as described.  Even though this seems fishy to me, I got some numbers from the owner to see if I could check it out some more.  What I got was
VIN: 124378L341669
Engine partial VIN: 18L341669
Engine Code: T0304MY

From that (as long as the numbers aren't faked), it looks like engine was assembled a couple of months before the car (engine assembled March 4, last VIN for May was 342086).
He lives far away from me, but I'll be heading there this weekend, and I'll be able to get more numbers off of the car.  Are there specific numbers I should be looking at?  Any thoughts on this?  The title is clean.  Does anyone know if there are ways to verify a police report from something like this?
Much Thanks

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: True SS?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »
 It will have documentation with the title I would think. I know state law vary from state to state but it should have a distinctive title with it saying the VIN has been replaced by CHP.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:52 AM »
Lump,
  check this sight for the location of the hidden VIN numbers. The numbers located under the cowl should match the VIN on the automatic 396. These can be seen through the vents but if not hopefully the owner will remove the whole panel. The transmission should have numbers also. 396's only came in SS cars. 12 bolt? Your numbers seem to line up close to a car I have. Absorb information contained on this site before you go look at the car.
    Good luck,
      VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

lumpofcole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I hadn't thought to check the transmission, but I will do that as well.  I thought it was a really good deal at first, and if it turns out to be an authentic SS it probably is, but I am assuming that the non-original VIN and missing cowl tag decrease the collector value of the car significantly...anyone have an idea by how much?  Does the story seem to convenient to take seriously?  Another tidbit I found out was that the previous seller told this guy that it was a lifetime California car, and had only one previous owner.  I found out from the motor vehicle divisions in CA that it actually had 3 owners before this guy, and was registered in New Mexico as late as 1997.  Part of me is thinking that if there are so many unanswered questions, why not just get a clone...or keep looking for that true SS and expect to pay a premium for the documentation and peace of mind.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »
Part of me is thinking that if there are so many unanswered questions, why not just get a clone...or keep looking for that true SS and expect to pay a premium for the documentation and peace of mind.
There you have it....
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director