Author Topic: Crane XR-i points conversion question.  (Read 9031 times)

discobiscuit

• View Profile
Crane XR-i points conversion question.
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »
I've had it with these points and am inches away from purchasing the Crane XR-i converstion kit but am somewhat confused about installation.  Of the instrucitons I've read installation seems quite simple....TOO simple to be honest.  They say to simply remove the old points then insert the elec ignition in the exact same place, hook up the wires exactly as the points were and your ready to go.  IS that all?  I've read posts about resistance wires, running this to it's own 12v source...etc. 

Also...I don't know what a rev limiter is but this particular unit seems to have one. What does a rev limiter do and how does this affect engine performance?  Thanks guys.

L78racer

• View Profile
Re: Crane XR-i points conversion question.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
works good. easy to install. the rev limiter keeps the engine from being revved above a set rpm that is adjustable.
when properly set it does not affect performance. on these units it's a small screw type adjustment. have a magnifying glass handy and try to set it before you install it as it is hard to see when in the car.
Paul

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
I've had it with these points and am inches away from purchasing the Crane XR-i converstion kit

Is there a specific problem you've had with points? I've had them in my cars for 50+ years with no issues.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

discobiscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
Not really having problems with the points but rumor has it that electronic ignition components like the Crane XR-i can improve engine performance.  I have absolutely no experience in this area and am just now learning things that most of you guys have known for 40 years...just never had an opportunity to do work like this.  Believe it or not...just yesterday I set the timing and dwell for the first time EVER in my life.  Lets just say I'm somewhere in my 40's.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »
Jerry MacNeish set a new world record in his Z last year with points. They good enough for that, they good enough for me.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
Not really having problems with the points but rumor has it that electronic ignition components like the Crane XR-i can improve engine performance.

You have to wade through the marketing hype - a spark is a spark, unless you're running a blower or over 12:1 compression; electronic conversions (Pertronix, Breakerless SE, Crane, etc.) simply replace an electromechanical switch (points) with an electronic switch, and the type of switch has no effect on spark energy. Spark energy is a function of the coil. To each his own, but look past the hype.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »
I'm bringing this old topic back to life, simply to avoid having to go over the above again.

However, the OP did mention the rev limiter, which is my primary interest. I want to keep original appearance, and gain the safety of this ignition kits rev limiter.

Has anyone used this setup? Is the advantage worth the switch? 

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
I like points and they work forever it seems but I've also had good luck using a Pertronix set up that has been modified for a vintage YC-310 Mallory dual point distributor and 28675 Voltmaster coil with 7 mm wires and over the counter AC plugs.I also have cars with points that are 30 plus years old without any problems other than a condenser going bad.The electronic stuff just stops working without warning but a set of points keep sparking until burnt up.Just my 2 cents worth!

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »
 I bet Jerry's stocker has Msd or some type of new style ignition

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
I put a Pertronics in my car several years ago and have not touched it since. Still run the 202 coil. Different strokes for different folks. I'll take the electronic set up.

Richard

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I believe when Jerry restores a 480 Distributor (69 Z), he set's it up with Accel dual points. Remember reading that somewhere.
Jimmy V.

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
I like the points idea. Not a big fan of electronics that can drop out on you without notice. However, it is the rev limiter I am after.

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »
Our 69 runs well with its points; we run a quality set and carry a spare set. The spare has never been used yet..   A friend had his electronic conversion  fail on a cruise last year, his 67 arrived back at his house strapped to the back of a flat bed tow truck.
In the past I had tried electronic on another Camaro we owned;  no change at all in engine performance, but it wasn't a race car and didn't see a lot of  high rpm's.
It's a personal choice; if you want a rev limiter, try electronic.   You can always change back if you want.

anything