Author Topic: 68 Camaro big block?  (Read 3302 times)

tim trax

• View Profile
68 Camaro big block?
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:58:45 PM »
help! I have a 68 coupe with a 396 non origional motor bolted to a turbo 350 trans and ten bolt rearend. so I either have a wrong engine or swapped drivetrain (smallblock) what are some ways to identify a big block car vs small block so I can begin a direction. Thanks! Tim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:25:43 PM by Ed Bertrand »

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Re: 68 Camaro big block or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »
As others have said, ...there is no perfect way to confirm a '68 big block, ...however (as has been said) the car had to be an SS to get the big block, ...so confirmation of the SS items (ie. 12-bolt; raised hood; signs of original emblems; 5 leaf springs; etc. would be a start.
   The items for a big block that would differ from a small block...: the heater core, fan shroud, fuel line, engine frame mounts, etc.
  If the drivetrain components are in question, ...check the dates compared to the cowl tag/car's build date; single leaf rear would be 6 cyl or 327 (ie. non SS).
  Tim trax, ...if as you say the motor is non original, ...and a 10-bolt rear, ...have you checked the 3rd digit of your VIN#? (ie. 3 or 4?). If that checks (ie. it a 4, 8-cyl.), ...I'd then check the date on the rear, ...if the rear date is close to the build, ...then it's probably not an SS...

zzmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »
Can he also check for the correct radiator tag??

Cheers,

ZZMike
1968 Crossram Z/28 Camaro

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 01:27:21 AM »
The cross member is almost a sure way to tell if the car was an original big block.  Very few people change these out so it is almost always the original.
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

anything