Author Topic: Fuse Panel Amperage Ratings  (Read 2904 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Fuse Panel Amperage Ratings
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
Been looking at a lot of original 1st gen fuse panels lately, and noticed that the short fuse for the dash instrument illumination (labelled 'INST. LPS.') varies between 2A, 3A and 5A, as labelled on the fuse panel from the factory. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to the RPOs of the cars that I've observed this on, but there must be a reason for it (console gauges, center clock/fuel gauge maybe?).
Anyone know why the different fuse ratings?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Fuse Panel Amperage Ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
 That's an interesting observation, Tim. I just checked my 67 05B NOR harness (it's out of the car during restoration) and it's a 4 amp fuse. This car (convertible) has the console gauges and AM radio options outside what comes with the standard interior wiring. It would make sense that more interior options that draw current on that wire will add to the required fuse rating and possibly wire gauge size providing the wire size isn't already of a larger capacity gauge.
  Now I'm curious and will check the 04B LOS that has no console gauges (had an AM radio).

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: Fuse Panel Amperage Ratings
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
Always though this myself.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

anything