Author Topic: Eaton Fan Clutch, but is it right?  (Read 19454 times)

doomer

• View Profile
Eaton Fan Clutch, but is it right?
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »
I am having my engine rebuilt and the mechanic said that the oil leaked out of the fan clutch while the fan was sitting out. He said it must be replaced now.  :'(

My car is perhaps 60-80% original. I am trying not to reduce that number any further. So I checked CRG and saw the photos of the original Eaton fan clutchs, comparing them to mine. Someone at some time painted mine black, covering any potential stamps. However, the name "Eaton" is stamped into the metal. It looks just like the CRG images, minus the finish and ink stamps.

Is there another way to know if this is original other than ink stamps? Should there be a stamped in part number? I understand that they can be rebuilt, but the names I saw referenced were posted years ago. I am not sure what the best way to proceed is.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eaton Fan Clutch, but is it right?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

Is there another way to know if this is original other than ink stamps? Should there be a stamped in part number? I understand that they can be rebuilt, but the names I saw referenced were posted years ago. I am not sure what the best way to proceed is.

Eaton clutches were dated with ink stamps on the front face. The best Eaton (or Schwitzer) clutch rebuilder/restorer I can recommend is Dan KirkConnell, (813) 477-6217; he installs new seals, bearings, and oil, assembled as original. $175.00, turnaround 3 weeks or less, very well-known in the NCRS Corvette community.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »
This is the fan and clutch. The name EATON is stamped into the metal, but the ink stamps are painted over. if they were there at all.

I think this may be original, but without the ink stamps, is there any other way to know for sure?

BTW, I called Dan, real nice fellow. Price is $200 plus $20 for return shipping.

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
Front looks good... lets see the back side?

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 12:39:12 AM »
Front looks good... lets see the back side?

I haven't removed the fan yet, but here are a few views. The last one makes me doubt. I don't recall seeing that Eaton impressed into the metal in previus examples.

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »
hard to tell from those pictures was looking for a red seal on the later models that look like that.
I have a ton of these will try to see if they have Eaton stamped on the front.

Yes - I have a serious hoarding problem....    ;D

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
hard to tell from those pictures was looking for a red seal on the later models that look like that.
I have a ton of these will try to see if they have Eaton stamped on the front.

Yes - I have a serious hoarding problem....    ;D

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...no wonder people are missing their stuff, you have it all. Is that the extent of your collection? You wouldn't happen to have an 834 alternator dated for a 10B 69 Impala do you?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
let me check for your date.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »
I am having my engine rebuilt and the mechanic said that the oil leaked out of the fan clutch while the fan was sitting out. He said it must be replaced now.  :'(

My car is perhaps 60-80% original. I am trying not to reduce that number any further. So I checked CRG and saw the photos of the original Eaton fan clutchs, comparing them to mine. Someone at some time painted mine black, covering any potential stamps. However, the name "Eaton" is stamped into the metal. It looks just like the CRG images, minus the finish and ink stamps.

'

Exactly how did he determine it was bad?  Some fan clutches have been observed with the Julian date / year with a part number stamped on the waterpump mounting flange.

Steve

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »
let me check for your date.

I see it...all the way to the bottom and too the right...
GaryC

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »
Hey Jeff, let me come visit man, I can catalog all your stuff for you.
GaryC

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
<< Some fan clutches have been observed with the Julian date / year with a part number stamped on the waterpump mounting flange. >>

Schwitzer clutches were dated on the mounting flange, in the format shown in the photo below; Eatons were not.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
Attached are photos of my factory original 7 blade fan and Eaton clutch (from my '69 09C Z28)...
I had to do a little light sanding on the fan blade to even tell there were numbers there, but are legible after cleaning away some paint to read the PN 3947772, along with '914087' and date code 'H69' (which I believe is for August '69)..
The Eaton fan clutch still reads:  'H21J'  and 'EATON CV'.. both printed, no stamps that I observed.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:10 AM »
Bringing this back to life. Was it ever determined if this clutch fan was an original piece? I just removed one from an 05A Norwood Z that is identical right down to the Eaton stamp and black paint.
Thanks, Doc.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 03:53:11 AM »
I have the same fan clutch the doomer posted on post #4 (3rd pic) with the word Eaton stamped into the metal.  From my understanding and what I've been told here on CRG that this/these were service replacements.  And that originals were ink stamped like Gary's (69Z28-RS) on post #12

I'm sure others will confirm.
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

anything