Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Eaton Fan Clutch, but is it right?

(1/7) > >>

doomer:
I am having my engine rebuilt and the mechanic said that the oil leaked out of the fan clutch while the fan was sitting out. He said it must be replaced now.  :'(

My car is perhaps 60-80% original. I am trying not to reduce that number any further. So I checked CRG and saw the photos of the original Eaton fan clutchs, comparing them to mine. Someone at some time painted mine black, covering any potential stamps. However, the name "Eaton" is stamped into the metal. It looks just like the CRG images, minus the finish and ink stamps.

Is there another way to know if this is original other than ink stamps? Should there be a stamped in part number? I understand that they can be rebuilt, but the names I saw referenced were posted years ago. I am not sure what the best way to proceed is.

JohnZ:

--- Quote from: doomer on July 12, 2013, 07:46:15 PM ---
Is there another way to know if this is original other than ink stamps? Should there be a stamped in part number? I understand that they can be rebuilt, but the names I saw referenced were posted years ago. I am not sure what the best way to proceed is.

--- End quote ---

Eaton clutches were dated with ink stamps on the front face. The best Eaton (or Schwitzer) clutch rebuilder/restorer I can recommend is Dan KirkConnell, (813) 477-6217; he installs new seals, bearings, and oil, assembled as original. $175.00, turnaround 3 weeks or less, very well-known in the NCRS Corvette community.

doomer:
This is the fan and clutch. The name EATON is stamped into the metal, but the ink stamps are painted over. if they were there at all.

I think this may be original, but without the ink stamps, is there any other way to know for sure?

BTW, I called Dan, real nice fellow. Price is $200 plus $20 for return shipping.

Pacecarjeff:
Front looks good... lets see the back side?

doomer:

--- Quote from: Pacecarjeff on July 12, 2013, 10:30:03 PM ---Front looks good... lets see the back side?

--- End quote ---

I haven't removed the fan yet, but here are a few views. The last one makes me doubt. I don't recall seeing that Eaton impressed into the metal in previus examples.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page