Author Topic: fuse block and big firewall connector  (Read 13698 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
fuse block and big firewall connector
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
OK Fellas.   I'd like to take the big firewall cable connector off and make sure all the terminals are clean and good.   I loosened the bolt and it didn't loosen the connector.   Does the fuse block under the dash need to be removed at the same time?    What am I missing here?  I don't want to damage anything.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

jims69

• View Profile
Re: fuse block and big firewall connector
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
On my 69; the  harness connector comes off of the bulkhead  on the firewall with one screw in the middle.   Once off; the two harness parts slide apart.   The fuse panel  is fastened to the bulkhead connector with two screws; upper right and lower left hand corners of the fuse panel,  Remove those screws and the fuse panel clips to the bulkhead connector with 2 molded on plastic clips.  Unclip it and then the fuse panel can be pulled off of the bulkhead connector and the bulkhead connector from the firewall if so desired.  The fuse panel has molded on "legs" that slide into the bulkhead connector and also provide a gap for the wires so they are not crunched.   You'll see how it comes apart once the screws are out.     Don't bend any terminals  or it is a real pain to line up the harness connector on the engine side when it is time to screw it back together.  Don't ask me how I know.  I had the same thought as you do and did this to mine not long ago.   It was perfect; a waste of my time, but still good to know it was
in good shape.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:55:17 AM »
thanks..   maybe I should leave mine alone..   :)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
thanks..   maybe I should leave mine alone..   :)

All you need to do is to remove the single center bolt and pull the combined connector off - it's just stuck.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
Thanks John... 
I'm generally hesitant to 'force anything' when I don't know how it was put together.. 
you've given me confidence to remove that connector now knowing I won't break something...   :)

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:02:25 AM »
I have a question how far apart is your car ? When was the last time you drove it?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
I have a question how far apart is your car ? When was the last time you drove it?
Are you trying to embarrass me?   :) ..  J/K
I last drove it in Dec 1980.   It sat assembled in my garage for a long time until a couple of years ago, when I began to *relearn* what I used to know about Z28s, and began to disassemble, rebuild, and clean up parts.   The suspension and brakes I've gone thru, along with cleaning the bottom of the floor pan, cleaning the gas tank and fuel line, and replacing rubber bushings on the subframe.   Currently the front clip is apart and some dash components are removed for rebuilding (athough those are ready for reinstallation).

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »
 So your basicly cleaning everything up .....Well at least you have kept it and not sold it for peanuts ...Like alot of people did.....Also your not the wish I had that back and not sold it....Seems like alot of these people think they can buy cars for nothing and be perfect .... cool

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »
After 34 yrs of inactivity, you'd need a tuneup too... :)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »
Get the harness disconnected ? Mine was tight , but came apart ,no corrosion. ( WD 40 ,my favorite tool ) Die-electric grease with reassembly.

BTY--- so what if your car sat. The ones out there that are " clean survivors " , not parts on wheels needing $$$ in Goodmark sheet metal , stopped being daily drivers when gas had lead.

True daily drivers : city commutes ,snow storms ,kid's practice.

Only need be embarrassed/ashamed if you let it turn to soil under a tree somewhere the last 34 years, if not sell one of your front fenders for 10 grand on eBay! (lol)---steve

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Yes, it came apart with some gentle prying.. :)    I was hesitant to pry before for fear that screw wasn't the only retainer..  I have cleaned it with electrical terminal cleaner, and will reinstall soon, after I do a couple of small electrical repairs on the harness (reinstall a couple of electrical connectors on the ends that were about to come loose). 
PS.  I agree with your other comments as well, except for why I've waited so long to get 'er going again, but I've got too many cars which distract me at times.. :)

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
Gary, Did your car sit that whole time with out starting the motor? You sound like your in the same boat as me. I've had my car since 76 and it's been sitting in my garage for over 25 years. I'd like to get started on it but was wondering about the motor if it hasn't been turned over in awhile.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
hi Rick,

My car with engine in it sat for between 5-10 yrs before I removed and disassembled the engine (I removed it in order to check the VIN stamp on the block - which had bothered me for years because it had no vin on the machined block surface).   After I found the VIN stamping, I went ahead and disassembled the block (for one day rebuilding).  I still haven't decided the smartest way to rebuild the 302 engine and it's still apart.   I have a '70 LT1 engine which I rebuilt which has sat in the car for years without it's being started either. :)   2 or 3 yrs ago, I began cleaning up the car, disassembling where I needed to in order to rebuild/check/clean the parts and then reinstalling.  I'm down to the front clip parts (it's an RS which is a monster in itself).. and the dash components.   At this point, I'm not sure if I'll leave the 350 in it for checking everything initially, or if I will rebuild the 302 to stock specs (I had 12:1 pistons in it from the '70's).

Re your engine, if it was running when it was parked and it's been parked in a garage, then I'd think you aren't too bad off and your engine will be fairly easy to get running again.   I'd suggest the following:
1) your carburetor is going to need a cleaning and kit due to dried out fuel and gaskets.
2) your fuel tank should be drained, cleaned, checked for leaks along with your fuel lines.
3) pull your plugs and squirt some thin oil or auto trans fluid in the cylinder; I'd do this a few times over a few weeks period before I tried to start the engine.
4) pull the valve covers, squirt oil in the rockers/balls area and on/around the pushrods/lifters if you can get oil to them.  check lash if you need to do so at this time.   reinstall valve covers.
5) with the ignition coil disconnected, plugs still out, make sure your battery is charged and do some short spins of the starter motor.  Don't spin it too long each time, rest/cool it, but continue doing that until you can see the oil pressure gauge begin to register. I would disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb during these spins; you can put a short rubber hose to the fuel pump outlet and drop it into a gas container which will allow you to purge any old gas our of the pump, and verify the pump is pumping.
6) Check your cooling system, verify your water pump is working while you're spinning the motor, then drain the cooling system and fill with fresh water and a little coolant.

At this point, with your carb rebuilt, your gas tank cleaned and with fresh prem fuel in the tank, plugs cleaned and reinstalled, you could try starting the engine.  Note:  if you need to check timing, you can verify static timing prior to starting the engine - it's simple to do.

Assuming the engine starts and runs OK, good oil pressure, and maintaining coolant temp (make sure it doesn't run hot for any reason), let it run til it reaches normal temp, then you could cut it off and drain the oil while hot, and refill with good fresh oil.

Note:  Do not drive the car before you check the brakes and any other system you have reason to suspect..  I try to make sure that a car will STOP, before verifying it will drive.. :)

Gary

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
Thanks Gary for the check list. I'll print it out so I have it when it comes time to start wrenching. I'd like to go the route you are with just cleaning and freshing up everything. I really don't want to down the whole restoration road. Good luck on yours and keep sus posted as to your progress.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 03:44:36 AM »
    It may not be a bad idea to take out the dist. and prime the engine with a drill and turn the engine over with a ratchet to make sure you have oil at the rocker arms .....