Author Topic: spoiler hardware  (Read 12295 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: spoiler hardware
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
Well just judging based on the pics of the 2 short spoiler cars, (johnZ, hubleyman) have the acorn nuts and "dog point studs". The 2 later cars have the full spoiler, with the other style studs and nuts. So it seems like spoiler size determined what hardware you got possibly? I think we need other guys with original D80 cars to chime in so we have a better sample size.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
on a different note, HUBLEYMAN what is with all the black residue on the underside of your deck lid? I have a similar film of black on the underside of mine , did your car have some kind of rust proofing done at one point?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

hubleyman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »
on a different note, HUBLEYMAN what is with all the black residue on the underside of your deck lid? I have a similar film of black on the underside of mine , did your car have some kind of rust proofing done at one point?

I'm guessing that the inner portion of my trunk lid was undercoated early in the cars life (by factory, dealer or otherwise?) and at some point in time the spoiler and emblem were removed. That would explain why those areas do not have any undercoating on the spoiler mounting hardware instead of them being completely covered with the same goop.  If you look at the inner structure from an angle, you can see more undercoating extending further inside of the trunk lid.  Maybe some soundproofing or undercoating was part of the style trim group?

This car doesn't have any extra undercoating or rustproofing inside of the fenderwells or on the bottom floor pans, other than what the factory may have applied to all productions cars.  Charlie

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »
My 08C car has nuts instead of acorn nuts too.

Jim

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
so the million dollar question is what hardware belongs on an 04D car?  Acorn style on the front and the shouldered ones on the back?
hi Scott,  I assume you are referring to the very back lip of the deck lid as the 'front'??  :)
Does your car have the short or full width spoiler?   that *might* dictate which way it was built.    How is it now? 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »

I'm guessing that the inner portion of my trunk lid was undercoated early in the cars life (by factory, dealer or otherwise?) and at some point in time the spoiler and emblem were removed. That would explain why those areas do not have any undercoating on the spoiler mounting hardware instead of them being completely covered with the same goop.  If you look at the inner structure from an angle, you can see more undercoating extending further inside of the trunk lid.  Maybe some soundproofing or undercoating was part of the style trim group?

This car doesn't have any extra undercoating or rustproofing inside of the fenderwells or on the bottom floor pans, other than what the factory may have applied to all productions cars.  Charlie
that application might have been done by the owner, or the dealership, in addressing water leaks into the trunk?   The holes for mounting the spoiler are a potential means for rain water to get into the trunk, even if the rubber weatherstrip is doing it's job, IF the rubber seal around the studs/nuts aren't doing their job.  Note:  water leaks into the trunk area can only be from the most forward of the spoiler mounting holes, since the rearmost ones are outside the trunk weatherstripping.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything