Author Topic: 67 exhaust system questions  (Read 5279 times)

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
67 exhaust system questions
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:10:20 AM »
Tried researching exhaust systems for my 67 (L48 01C) since I need to replace mine soon and have a few questions.

what were the original exhaust components (pipes, muffler, resonators) made of?  aluminum or stainless steel?

What were the purpose of the resonators?  Did they make the system louder or quieter?  Where were they placed within the system?

No chambered exhaust option for 67 correct?
1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 exhaust system questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »

what were the original exhaust components (pipes, muffler, resonators) made of?  aluminum or stainless steel?

What were the purpose of the resonators?  Did they make the system louder or quieter?  Where were they placed within the system?

No chambered exhaust option for 67 correct?

Pipes were plain carbon steel, muffler was aluminized steel. Resonators made the system quieter, and were placed ahead of the muffler. No chambered exhaust system option in '67.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
No chambered but there was the N61 "deep-tone" dual exhaust option; n/c on SS models. It eliminated the resonators and used a different muffler.
Learning more and more about less and less...

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
More info...

william
CRG Member

Re: Exhaust resonator...what does it do?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »

1st Gen Camaros used resonators since the start of production in 1966; they are clearly shown in the Assembly Instruction Manual under N10 for all 3 years. 67-68 Z/28s had "deep-tone dual exhausts" which was no more than a section of pipe that eliminated them. Any other N10 car had them.

As for 1969 the vague wording of the chambered exhaust recall created the impression they were a late add-on. The undercarriage photos of the Berger #3 ZL1 [02D N608193] show it was built with resonators and a transverse muffler; OE systems were welded together. Until supplies caught up 69s planned for chambered had a transverse muffler system without resonators.

Resonators did a fine job of cancelling noise. A ZL1 with a resonator system is very quiet at idle.

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:12:36 PM »
Your guys statements answered a lot of my questions, thanks.

So is Gardners Exhaust still considered the most correct for restoration/originality purposes?

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Your guys statements answered a lot of my questions, thanks.

So is Gardners Exhaust still considered the most correct for restoration/originality purposes?

I believe so if you want an exact reproduction exhaust system. They also make different levels of systems; different finishes, types of hangers, etc.. You need to call them to find out what they offer and what fits your needs.

anything