Author Topic: Wiper blade refills  (Read 30654 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wiper blade refills
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Please explain if 67 Camaro had polished ,flat, blade holders. Please explain the difference between flat and peaked holders

I don't think any '67 Camaro had polished flat blade holders; that's when the Federal MVSS spec on "specular gloss" driver reflections went into effect, and wiper arms and blade holders got the "satin" or "satellite" dull finish.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
On the left are satin peaked blade holders for 66 67 68 69. On the right are flat chrome used in 63 64 65.
Early 66 cars still used the shinny ones.  not sure of the exact change over date.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
John and Jeff,
Thanks for the reply.
My 67 Camaro and Corvette have satin peaked blade holders but the are stamped  TRICO    MADE IN USA. You indicate I will need the blade holders with TRICO  only stamped on them? Is this correct?

Bob

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Yes - 67 was only Trico.
not sure about 68
69 started the Made in USA.

now to be perfectly honest most can't tell the difference, or can't see the difference.
And unless you are being judged by Bloomington Gold or NCRS with your Corvette. - I wouldn't sweat it.
Last time I sold a set of the <Trico> blade holders for 67, I think a 67 Corvette guy gave me $375 for the pair.

Lucky I had an extra set, or I may have considered selling them off my car.   ;)

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Actually will be looking for a set for the 67 Camaro. Sure thought the Camaro blades where original as it has not seen the street since 1970.
Something unusual about the 67 Camaro blades, they are not stainless steel. they are steel with a dull gray coating on them. Lacquer thinner will not hurt the finish.
Every part of the blade is steel and is magnetic.
I have an 05E build and I wonder if there was a change over in material and stamping in late 67?

Bob

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »
Don't go throwing anything away just yet.
I am just relaying what all the Corvette judges believe to be fact. I am still a firm believer that multiple styles of many things were used simultaneously.
Every Corvette, Camaro in 67 used the same blade holders - hard to believe every single one was exactly the same with the same stampings.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
I would be interested if owners of original 67,68 Camaros would check there blade holders with a magnet and let us know if they are magnetic.

John Z,
Could you explain what satellite dull finish is and did the Federal regulation start at the 67 start up or was it phased in during the production run?

Bob

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
I would be interested if owners of original 67,68 Camaros would check there blade holders with a magnet and let us know if they are magnetic.

John Z,
Could you explain what satellite dull finish is and did the Federal regulation start at the 67 start up or was it phased in during the production run?

Bob

I think you'll find that ALL blade holders were stainless - some were magnetic, and some weren't (300-series stainless is magnetic, 400-series is not). The satin/satellite dull finish started on Corvettes in mid-1966, in anticipation of the requirement for the 1967 model year, which became effective September 1, 1966.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
I would agree with John - all were stainless - easy to see when you hit an untouched junkyard and all the blades are still perfect.

I tried a magnet, and my results were mixed - some were magnetic some we not.
There did not seem to be a patten based on style or stampings.

the main problem with the peaked ones and what makes them so rare, is they are very fragile.