Author Topic: Halogen headlights with Rally Sport option  (Read 7187 times)

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
Halogen headlights with Rally Sport option
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
Howdy folks...long time no post.

I'd like to upgrade the lighting in my 68 RS.  The stock headlights are horrible compared to a modern car (and I'm getting older!).   I've seen some projector style halogen bulbs available.  Are there any fit issues with the RS buckets/brackets?  Any other issues to be concerned with?  Oh yeah...I have the U46 Vigilite option too.    My car is not totally original so I'm not worried about correct headlamps.

Thanks!

-Pete
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: Halogen headlights with Rally Sport option
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
Sylvania Silver Star lamps #H6024 is a direct replacement Halogen bulb. You may also want to add a relay to get direct power from the battery for blindingly bright headlights.  Recent thread on relays http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219992

1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
I agree its a GM issue that age does not help- voltage drop to the headlights - too much resistance
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Thanks guys.   I have had issues with Silver Stars in the past (in modern cars)...the longevity of them stink in my experience.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:02:18 PM by MMMM_ERT »

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »
Agreed on the longevity, but I like bright. Better than the "airplane" lights I had on an truck. Bought them at a speed shop, had to change them for inspection.  They ran so hot the solder melted at the terminals. Had to replace them after every inspection. VERY expensive in the day,  close to 100 for the pair.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
Agreed on the longevity, but I like bright. Better than the "airplane" lights I had on an truck. Bought them at a speed shop, had to change them for inspection.  They ran so hot the solder melted at the terminals. Had to replace them after every inspection. VERY expensive in the day,  close to 100 for the pair.

That's not comforting...

Did it melt the connectors?  

I purchased this harness (which I learned about from the link above) and plan to install it with the Silverstars.  I don't want to have melted plug/connectors or any issues.

It's a pretty cool set up and it can all be hidden (except for the fuseable link back to the battery)...I can even drill holes in the connectors to run my U46 Vigilite optic cables thru...just like the stock connectors.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Yes the solder melted from the terminals. That was a long time ago. No such issue with the new halogen lights. I would like them to last longer, but for driving at night I will take visibility over economy. All my family cars have the silverstone halogen bulbs.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

anything