Author Topic: 1969 cowl tag help  (Read 3678 times)

Jakellum

• View Profile
1969 cowl tag help
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:56 AM »
Purchased a 69 from a buddy and where my Xcode should be it says "T162"

I've looked everywhere. Any ideas?

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 cowl tag help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:25 AM »
Sorry my friend, but X codes will only be on Norwood built 69's and only after Dec 1968 2nd week. Take some time and do some searches and read what CRG says about trim tags. Knowledge is power and you should come away from the site feeling invincible! LOL. Welcome to the site.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »
That's the Fisher Body body scheduling code.

Fisher Body body scheduling code:

The LOS (Los Angeles/Van Nuys) body scheduling code is a letter followed by one to three digits, e.g., F103. Based on data analysis (there is no GM documentation that describes this code, but the data is consistent across thousands of datapoints), CRG believes the code was used by LOS Fisher Body (and other plants that built multiple carlines) to aid in scheduling the body build order.

The letter indicates the approximate day of the month for the start of the assembly of the vehicle body. It is only an approximate date because it appears that the day on the tag was actually when the vehicle was being scheduled to be built. The actual start of production could vary by a few days.

The code began with letter "A" on the first day of the month of the Fisher production calendar, incremented at the start of each additional production day to the next alphabetic letter, and was reset to letter "A" at the start of the next production month. (Note that the Fisher production calendar is known to differ from the calendar month, and we also do not know exactly how the Fisher production calendar related to the Chevrolet monthly production reporting calendar.)

The one-to-three digit sequence number that follows the letter was reset to 1 at the start of each day and generally incremented serially with each body built by the factory as the day progressed. Due to scheduling requirements, this progression was not absolute and vehicles chould be built out of tag sequence. Data analysis indicates that the sequence number at the LOS plant was assigned regardless of model or body type. By this we mean that Camaros and full-size passenger cars both incremented the same sequence counter. The unit counter was reset to 1 the next day as the day-of-the-month code letter incremented to the next letter. In the example, F103 would indicate approximately the sixth day of production for a given month and about the 103rd body on that sixth day of production.

Paul

Jakellum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:28:53 AM »
Thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't an Xcode.. Just trying to describe It's location. Feels a lot better to know what it means so I don't obsess anymore trying to find it. Thanks for the replies