Author Topic: Engine hook bolts on manifold  (Read 47559 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Re: Engine hook bolts on manifold
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
So were all the bolts used on the intake manifold the same head marking? I removed some recently that have no marking at all. Then they would not be original I assume? The motor had minimal work done to it before my ownership, so I would not have thought these to be replaced?  Hex head and Had washers underneath as well. Guess the washers prevent damage to the aluminum of the manifold.
Jimmy one other thing on the manifold bolts....my understanding is that (and it may be wrong) the manifold bolts were first installed at the engine plant and they were all the short ones.  When the engine arrived at the auto assembly plant dress line, the short bolts were removed and the other ones added as the equipment was installed.  Thus, you could have different head stampings because you are dealing with two different plants.

Wouldn't the engine hooks have been installed at the Flint engine assembly plant? The whole reason they are there is for handling the engines assemblies from Flint to the assembly plant,  the dress line, and to final chassis install I think? So if that's true, then whatever bolts were used for the hooks were installed at the Flint engine plant.
Jimmy V.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
Jimmy one other thing on the manifold bolts....my understanding is that (and it may be wrong) the manifold bolts were first installed at the engine plant and they were all the short ones.  When the engine arrived at the auto assembly plant dress line, the short bolts were removed and the other ones added as the equipment was installed.  Thus, you could have different head stampings because you are dealing with two different plants.

Wouldn't the engine hooks have been installed at the Flint engine assembly plant? The whole reason they are there is for handling the engines assemblies from Flint to the assembly plant,  the dress line, and to final chassis install I think? So if that's true, then whatever bolts were used for the hooks were installed at the Flint engine plant.

The engine lift hooks were installed at the engine plants, and weren't touched at the car assembly plants.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »
Agreed on the lift hooks.....was reading over on the Supercar Registry last night and got a good education.  But, back to Jimmy's question, it still appears that there was at least two different length bolts and the possibility of different head markings.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
1. Were the intake bolt heads and/or lift hooks brush painted before or after installation? Is there any evidence of silver paint brushed on the intake manifold?
2. What shade and gloss (of silver) was used? Argent?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »

2. What shade and gloss (of silver) was used? Argent?

Try Krylon "dull aluminum".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 03:26:03 AM »
Edgemontvillage was referring to the engine orange on the head surface between the valve cover and intake manifold... ie. the upper part of the machined surface for intake gasket...  which normally would not get painted on such an engine (with aluminum manifold and aluminum valve covers)..

I may be off base on this, and please correct me if I am. When engines with aluminum manifolds and valve covers were built, a shield was used to keep as much paint off of them as possible. That area of the head would have been painted, but maybe not as much as the rest and burned off leaving the impression that it had never been painted. On assembly line cars, orange over-spray could be seen on the manifold/valve covers verifying that point. Some restorers do not want to see assembly line features like that and prefer to paint the head complete and then install the manifold, eliminating the over-spray from it. Personally, I like the assembly line defects. 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 04:22:53 AM »
No, I don't agree.  There would be no reason to even try, as it would be futile to have attempted to paint that little sliver of 'head' between the aluminum intake and aluminum valve cover using the crude masks they had to use. 
I've never seen factory paint in that area on such a car (with aluminum intake and aluminum VC), but what you do in rebuilding your own car is your business..   :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 05:18:44 AM »
Edgemontvillage was referring to the engine orange on the head surface between the valve cover and intake manifold... ie. the upper part of the machined surface for intake gasket...  which normally would not get painted on such an engine (with aluminum manifold and aluminum valve covers)..

I may be off base on this, and please correct me if I am. When engines with aluminum manifolds and valve covers were built, a shield was used to keep as much paint off of them as possible. That area of the head would have been painted, but maybe not as much as the rest and burned off leaving the impression that it had never been painted. On assembly line cars, orange over-spray could be seen on the manifold/valve covers verifying that point. Some restorers do not want to see assembly line features like that and prefer to paint the head complete and then install the manifold, eliminating the over-spray from it. Personally, I like the assembly line defects. 

I have never seen any assembly pics like that. My 1100 mile 70 Z had no evidence of that at all. It has orange paint on the plug wire stands that were done with a brush.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

I have never seen any assembly pics like that. My 1100 mile 70 Z had no evidence of that at all. It has orange paint on the plug wire stands that were done with a brush.

Charley, would love to see a close up photo of the brush work on the plug wire stands.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »
Should be some on  www.1970z28camaro.com

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »
I just looked and there are a bunch of detail pics that show the silver paint on the intake bolts, bare head area next to intake, engine lift brackets and the dist hold down clamp and bolt. Also at least one good pic of the brush paint on the plug wire stand. Somebody smarter than me can figure out how to post them here.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. I assume then that the restored cars that I have seen with over-spray there, are over-restored.

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
Should be some on  www.1970z28camaro.com

Very nice pictures Charley. Thanks for posting.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 05:49:41 PM »
Feel free to post them over here. I have tried just uploading here but the size limit is too small to get any detail. Maybe someone can link them ?

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
That 70 Z28 is sharp. Was looking at the pics of what is being discussed here and was wondering if the 69 Z28 was the same. Were all the intake bolts painted silver or natural? How about the lift hooks and the bolts on the lift hooks? I'm gonna assume the lift hooks were painted silver, but were any painted orange with the aluminum intake? And 'HAND' painted spark plug wire stands? Probably a paint brush right? I can see brush strokes on the wire stand by the brake booster. Unusual, I would have never thought that. On the lift hook bolts, with a loose washer or washer part of the head?

Something else that caught my eye was the shielding around the points in the distributor. Pretty neat part. Must of had some radio noise or some sort of interference.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

anything