Author Topic: Shifter rebuild  (Read 7183 times)

twol78s

• View Profile
Shifter rebuild
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
I have a '67 SS/RS Camaro that currently has an aftermarket (circa 1979) Hurst shifter in it.
When the Hurst shifter was put in, the original Muncie shifter, mounts, linkages, and fasteners were carefully put away in the box for the Hurst shifter.   I still have it.
I am wondering if there is someone who can completely go through the shifter and rebuild it to like-new condition?  It was really sloppy and needs to be completely rebuilt.

Any help greatly appreciated.

-Rick

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Shifter rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 11:16:13 PM »
there are several companies that advertise they rebuild Muncie transmissions and shifters..  Here's one..
http://www.manchestermuncies.com/services
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

6667ss138

• View Profile
Shifter rebuild
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:25:50 AM »
Rick, I recently had the Muncie shifter for my 66 Chevelle rebuilt by Old Chevy Ray out of Oklahoma. Very nice and knowledgeable guy to deal with. I was very pleased, it shifts through the gears smooth!
Here is what he advertises you will get.

"Restored-Recolored by Chevrolet Ray in Oklahoma & has been Mounted on a Muncie 4 speed Transmission, Adjusted, Checked for Proper Shift Action (Run thru Gears). Shifter Gate, Linkage Rods Assembly Restored with reference to the Chevrolet Assembly Manual Pages & Chevrolet Shop Manuals & MY GREY MATTER". OLD TIMER ChevyRay in Ok. USA. Call 405 262 4432 chevyray@cox.net

You can see before and after pictures of my shifter (link below) on my 66 build thread over at Team Chevelle. Hope this helps.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528818&page=10

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Shifter rebuild
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »
Hurst will do it.  Download the form and fill it out. :~D  Mine came out nice.

ChrisM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »
Rick, I recently had the Muncie shifter for my 66 Chevelle rebuilt by Old Chevy Ray out of Oklahoma. Very nice and knowledgeable guy to deal with. I was very pleased, it shifts through the gears smooth!
Here is what he advertises you will get.

"Restored-Recolored by Chevrolet Ray in Oklahoma & has been Mounted on a Muncie 4 speed Transmission, Adjusted, Checked for Proper Shift Action (Run thru Gears). Shifter Gate, Linkage Rods Assembly Restored with reference to the Chevrolet Assembly Manual Pages & Chevrolet Shop Manuals & MY GREY MATTER". OLD TIMER ChevyRay in Ok. USA. Call 405 262 4432 chevyray@cox.net

You can see before and after pictures of my shifter (link below) on my 66 build thread over at Team Chevelle. Hope this helps.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528818&page=10

I grew up in El Reno.  "Chevrolet Ray's" son and I use to ride bikes (and later tinker with cars) together.  I've been to his house many times.  He rebuilt the engine in my maroon car back in 1990.  He is retired but has been going to swap meets, rebuilding carburetors, and shifters for as long as I've known him.  If you send him your stuff I can promise you it will look as good as new when you get it back.

- Chris

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:27 AM »
LOOK as good as new is nice, but of course functionality is king  ;D .. Danny

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:01 PM »
on the Muncie shifter rebuild, ask about the gate spring and retainer

I had to re-rebuild a few because whoever rebuilt it did not put in the gate spring and hat shaped retainer
they are hard to find and are missing on many used shifters

I had to make a my own hat shaped retainers because I could not find any and they are missing on my spare shifters