Author Topic: Z28 Stripe  (Read 23543 times)

asm69

• View Profile
Re: Z28 Stripe
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
Thanks for your post. It makes great sense. So, what should I do in respects to the rear stripes? If I leave them as is, it reflects what actually happened during a short period of time, though incorrect, it makes my 69z unique. And of course the uniqueness is added
by the short rear spoiler. I think your correct that the spoiler was added at the dealer. My trunk torsion bars are of different sizes I forgot
what this indicates? I think it  indicates that the rear spoiler was factory or dealer installed. So, what do you think. Keep stripes as is for historical reasons or update to correct length.

asm69

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Here's a thread on the rear spoiler (D80).  On the stripes it's your car do what you think is best.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7285.0  ;)
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »
The thread was very interesting. I went and looked at my trunk lid torsion bars again. one is thicker than the other.
Both rods have a rubber sleve over them. Hugger orange paint overspray exists over the rubber sleves and  the end
of the rods. The rods also have trunk splatter on them as well.

Does the having orange overspray on the rods indicate that their factory rods?

Maybe I should post a picture? I'm not sure if it helps.

asm69

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »
This photo from the March 1969 issue of Motorcade shows the rear stripes in yet another
configuration, basically the same as the '68 Z/28.

The "low" rear stripes definitely did happen, although it probably was only at the Van Nuys
plant. I saw several examples of '69 Zs back in the '70s with this low stripe treatment, one
in my hometown which was still in the hands of the middle aged original owner. I don't
think the CRG database has enough info at this time to determine whether these low rear
stripes were only done during a short window of time or if there were other times during
the production year when this happened but it is something that is being looked at more
closely than it has been in the past.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
10A-built Van Nuys car in original paint with the early rear stripes.

Another original paint Burnished Brown Z with the low-style rear stripes.
Original white pin stripe around stripes but inside part of stripe has been
customized.
Jon Mello
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 03:12:37 AM »
Theres two different patterns in the above pictures, the first group of stripes only extend about an inch onto the panel between the trunk and rear glass (tulip panel?), and are spaced so that they almost touch the body seam between the quarter panel and the tulip panel on the outer edge.  Then there are the three immediately above this post that has the stripe extending almost halfway to the rear window on the tulip panel but are moved closer together probably 2 or 3" from the quarter/tulip panel body seam.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
Yes, that's what I'm trying to point out. There is not just one factory applied rear stripe pattern for the '69 Z/28. There are actually three different versions. The one that extends onto the rear "tulip" panel about an inch or two is the least understood in terms of when it was done but it is a factory applied, legitimate stripe pattern and my opinion is an owner of one of these cars should not be docked points at a judged car show event because the judges are not aware of it.
Jon Mello
CRG

sixnineZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »

This is my car with the origional paint that was on it in 1971, before I had it "correctly" re-painted in 1982.
I had never seen and was not aware of the assembly manual instructions before I measured them.
Last year it was certified by MacNeish as a "very origional unmolested survivor class"  Z/28 with one repaint. 

I had kept the origional factory paint flat hood when I installed a cowl hood. 
MacNiesh spent more time looking at the hood than any other item !  He stated that the hood has an origional correct factory paint job.

Of the 4-5 Z/28's that seem to have the short rear stripes from the factory, all share the same information.

All are Z/28's
All seem to be Z/28's without a factory installed Spoiler.
All were made in LA.
All bodies were made in Late October 1968 10C or 10D (Possibly painted on the same day.)
All have stripes that match the assembly manual.
Of the three that I know the VIN numbers, they are within 500 VINs of each other.

My guess is that on one or a few days in late October 1968 someone painted the Non-Spoiler Z/28's incorrectly to match the Assembly manual instructions.

This would make only a very few were painted at the factory per the "incorrect" Assembly Manual.

Note: asm69's likely had its spoiler "dealer added" because if I remember correctly, the stripes continue to the rear lip,
and it is missing the relocated Camaro emblem., 
mine was added in '82 when I had it re-painted.

It was easier to re-paint mine to match what was know, then try to explane why my stripes did not match others in 1982.

Hey DZ302,
I am a newbie here, I just stumbled across your post on the stripes. I have a 69 z28 RS from Van Nuys with the short stripes original paint. Unfortuanately considering selling it. Your info is useful, thank you!

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 03:19:30 AM »
Have you seen this kind of issue with '67 or '68?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 02:05:09 AM »
I have only seen this issue with '69s. I am aware of 10D and 12A LOS cars with this stripe oddity. There may be other build weeks as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
My LA built 12C Z-28 without rear spoiler has short stripes

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 02:08:44 AM »
From this discussion I think their may be something to say concerning early built Van Nuy's 1969 z28's. The sentiment from this discussion indicates that those early build 69 Z28's were painted improperly, even though the Assembly manual provides those specifications. It is my opinion, that those of you who have one of these early built Z28's with the short rear stripes have a factory built 1969 Z28 Camaro. It is for sure is a rare occurrence,  and only so many exist with the short rear stripes. This alone may make those vehicles more valuable and another indication of authenticity.

I would like to hear what Jerry M thinks about that.