Author Topic: Mold damage on vinyl - fixable ???  (Read 9939 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Mold damage on vinyl - fixable ???
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »
First off let me say I live in Florida, the humidity capital of the world. All of my 68's interior had been stored in New York for many, many years and my car has been here in Florida being worked on. A couple of years ago, I brought all of the interior to Florida. For a lack of a better place to store it, just put it back inside of the car.

I sent my car to the paint shop a couple of months ago and had to empty it. My space inside my house is very limited so I put the seats in what we call a Florida room. It is an enclosed room attached to the house. It has plenty of windows and ventilation but no air conditioning. And it gets plenty hot in the summer. I had the seats wrapped on old sheets to protect them.

I pulled the sheets off of my back seat tonight just to check it's condtion and I got a big suprise. The top of the rear seat back was covered in mold. Really bad! I cleaned it off with a wet rag and then some upholstery cleaner........but then I got a bigger surprise..............

The mold had left depressions, like pock marks or craters, in the surface of the vinyl. Like sheet metal would look like if it got pelted with steel shot.

For being 45 years old, these seats were almost in pristine condition. When I saw those depressions, I almost wanted to cry.

I haven't checked everything yet but I think the damage is limited to just this seat back only.

SO MY QUESTION IS......has this ever happend to anyone and were you able to fix it. I was thinking of putting it in the sun tomorrow to see if it might smooth it out.....I don't know if that's a good idea or not......or maybe I should apply something to it that would help.

ps.....even if I have to put my bed outside to make space, I am putting all my interior inside in the air conditioning till it goes back in the car.

MO

• View Profile
Re: Mold damage on vinyl - fixable ???
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:27:33 AM »
I wonder if that is a deformation of the foam telegraphing through to the surface.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:35:38 AM »
No need to wonder, that's what it is. The moisture permeated the seat.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 03:06:52 AM »
No need to wonder, that's what it is. The moisture permeated the seat.
From what I know about moldy vinyl boat seats, the sunshine could help. Don't leave any cleaner (bleach, etc.) on the surface before you put it in the sun. Don't "fry" the vinyl!  Let it cool and use a good vinyl cleaner. But you may have a worse, long term problem with the moisture deteriorating the foam.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »
During the 80's my Camaro was in storage in a building my dad owned.    Anyway, one day  he happened to notice surface mold starting on
the  back seat.   We talked on the phone and decided to use a good vinyl cleaner on the seats, door panels etc.   He did this a couple of times a year
and the mold never reappeared.   From your photo's the mold wasn't as bad as yours, but it probably
would have been.  Dad's gone now,  sure wish I could remember the product he used.   Dad loved the car as much as I do.  Good luck with your seat.   Jim

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
I'm with Phillip on this one. I've had boat seats look this bad and all I ever done to it was clean them with Mean Green and put 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. They always came back out when the sun got on it and got a little warm. Here's a link.  303 Protectant
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies. 

When you say "they came back out when the sun got on it," are you refering to the dimples like my seats have now?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »

When you say "they came back out when the sun got on it," are you refering to the dimples like my seats have now?

I'd say yes, and x2 to Mean Green and 303.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »

Yes Dave the dimples came out and you couldn't tell they were there after they got warm.
Daniel  

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »
Soooooo?  ???  ???  ???
What results?

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 02:09:03 AM »
First off, thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Here's where I am so far. I bought the 303 Aerospace Protectant. I also picked up some 303 upholstery cleaner.

I cleaned the seat and appplied the protectant and then let it bake in the Florida sun for a couple of days.

It seems like the dimples have come out some......but not all the way. I have had the seat now inside in the air conditioning for a couple of days now to see if drawing any humidity out of it might make a difference but it looks the same.

I will try putting it out in the sun some more.

What I can't figure out is that all of my interior was all together in one spot and in the same conditions.  The all of the front and rear seats, the door panels and the rear side panels. Everything was covered with old sheets. The top of the rear seat back is the only area that got mold. (luckily) Everything else is fine.

Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
Dave I don't know if it will help but you might need to massage the seat backs. Remember mine was on a boat so they got sat in and the dimples came out with use. Your seat might need to be "sat in" to move the covers around to help get the dimples out. I hope I didn't confuse you.  Does it make sense?
Daniel  

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
I will try to do some massaging with my hands. It will be quite a while before it can go back in the car and be sat in.

Thanks......Dave

anything