Author Topic: muncie trans  (Read 6044 times)

crownroyal58

• View Profile
muncie trans
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
If this topic is in the wrong place i apologize. My muncie transmission or could be the shifter,(not sure yet) has been giving me problems from the 2nd to 3rd shift. It will lock in 2nd gear and i have to drive it home @ 15 mph. Thought it was going to be the sychronizers but they seem to be perfect, as a matter of fact all appears good inside the trans. The only thing i noticed and am not sure of is that the 2nd gear has approx. 30 thousand movement on the main shaft (forward and backward movement). Anyone here know if this is normal?

Thanks

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: muncie trans
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
You didn't stipuilate what year or which shifter you have, but I'm assuming you have a Hurst, so read THIS and then rebuild the shifter.

I've also moved your thread to the maintenance section.

Ed

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
Thanks Ed for putting me in the proper place. The car is 69, the shifter is Hurst, and the shifter is practically new, maybe 700 miles or so, not the original shifter to the car.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »
Is it an aftermarket Hurst, or a reproduction of the original?

Ed

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
advertised as exact reproduction of original.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
I've no experience with the repop Hurst shifters so I can't say if they're any good or not, but did you have this probably before you installed the repop? Since you only have 700 miles on the repop, how was the shifter you replaced working?

Ed

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
Are you positively sure you have aligned the shifter? I used a nail just a millionth too small and had the same problem. Found the right dowel pin and aligned it again. No more problems.   
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
Never had a shifter before this one so i can't say. The car shifts perfectly fine under normal driving conditions, but once you get into it and attempt to shift while the tires are still spinning in 2ND it will lock in 2ND when you attempt the shift to third. Once it does this you are stuck with coming home in 2ND gear or crawl under it on the side of the road.
To line up the shifter i used the plastic pin alignment that came with shifter, then after that i have used a 1/4 drill bit. I have checked alignment a couple of times. Maybe i should just drive it like someone with good sense.
Oh, the shifter came from Ground Up.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 02:04:00 AM »
Sounds like when you're shifting into third the 1-2 linkage rod is not moving into the neutral position. Make sure the linkage rods are tight and aligned correctly. If this is an old shifter its sound like it may need to be freshened up. That used to happen to me in the 70's and I have plenty of burn mark lon my forearm laying under the car moving the 1-2 shift rod from second into neutral position. Last couple of shifters I've sent to hurst for rebuilding/plating and they've worked perfect. Their prices have gone up quite a bit. On the Yenko site Darren X33 posted shifter rebuild DIY tutorial a couple of years ago. If I find it I'll post the link.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

anything