CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 12:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106516 Posts in 12421 Topics by 4787 Members
Latest Member: Oilron14
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  door mirror adjustments????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: door mirror adjustments????  (Read 1633 times)
dab67

67 SS

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »

The door mirror on my 67 will not hold where I place it. Is there a way to tighten the pivot point or ball of the mirror to remedy this problem or do I have to replace the whole unit?

Thanks in advance

Dab67
77thor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

Common problem with the repro mirrors for all first gen's.

I've heard that some have had luck by removing the mirror glass and tightening something(screws?) behind it...
Glass can be removed by soaking the whole unit overnight in mineral spirits to loosen the glue.

Fred - Milwaukee, WI
1969 Camaro SS350, M21, 12 Bolt, (01B LOS Build)
tom

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:21 AM »

This was discussed at length in another thread. Use the advanced  search for: loose door mirror. Should get you there.

69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speedo
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9441.0

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA (and restoring a 40 Buick Special for it)
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
dab67

67 SS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »

Thanks to all that responded to this question and special thanks to Lakeholme for finding the link that instructs you on how to solve the problem.

Dave
Farm Boy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »

I guess you could use the slow messy method in the above link.

What I did was much quicker and easier. I used a small hammer and a sharp punch. I removed the mirror and turned the head to expose the part of the ball that is normally covered. I used the hammer and punch to knurl the ball. I then moved the head some and knurled the other side of the ball. The mirror is nice and tight now and the knurling is hidden when the mirror is returned to its normal position. It is a quick and dirty fix and that works great!

Steve
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »

What I did was much quicker and easier. I used a small hammer and a sharp punch. I removed the mirror and turned the head to expose the part of the ball that is normally covered. I used the hammer and punch to knurl the ball. I then moved the head some and knurled the other side of the ball. The mirror is nice and tight now and the knurling is hidden when the mirror is returned to its normal position. It is a quick and dirty fix and that works great!

How did you get the mirror out?

Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP
77thor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »

What he did was take the mirror off the car and punched the ball.
He did not remove the mirror glass.

Fred - Milwaukee, WI
1969 Camaro SS350, M21, 12 Bolt, (01B LOS Build)
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »

How long since you did it, and how many miles?

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
Farm Boy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »

I has been at least three years since I fixed my mirror, maybe longer. I put around 1500 miles per year on the car. The mirror is still as tight as the day I fixed it. If needed I can still adjust it.

Steve
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »

I has been at least three years since I fixed my mirror, maybe longer. I put around 1500 miles per year on the car. The mirror is still as tight as the day I fixed it. If needed I can still adjust it.
Thanks!  Sometime in the "dim, dark" past I heard that fix would not last.  But you've gotten good results...

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: