Author Topic: Correct Hood Hinge Finish  (Read 25429 times)

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
Re: Correct Hood Hinge Finish
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 02:22:33 PM »
Rich is probably referring to the hood hinge spring, not hood latch spring. ;)

deejaygee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »
Rich is probably referring to the hood hinge spring, not hood latch spring. ;)

I meant the big spring on the hood itself. Here's a pic I took a couple of days ago of an original paint car. Pic is blurry but you can see the black spring.

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 02:27:36 AM »
Like the blurry photo, on the hood latch springs (not hood hinge springs), I haven't yet seen a survivor car that didn't have the black painted latch spring.
68 L30/M20 RS

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 05:42:54 AM »
Thats interesting to know.  Ive never noticed that before, but then again, I havent really looked for it.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
Old thread, but I have seen a lot of survivors now with the black latch spring as in the above photo.  JohnZ's car might still have it and I know he has lot's of pics of his car in a lot of areas.  He might have one of those.
68Z28

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »
I have had our original hinges, springs etc done (gray phosphate) 3 times since paint restoration in 2004 on out 69 Z/28. Refer to Jerry MacNeish Camaro book page 203 about finishes. We live at the beach, very wet and damp even in a warm garage with a cover on her. The hinge edges started to rust almost immediately the first go round. Did them again and used Tetsors lacquer semi-gloss spray paint to seal them. Finish looks good and does not change color or yellow over time (so far) That lasted about 4 years. I had then redone again a few months ago and HEAVILY coated them with the same clear coat and so far so good. Any moisture where you are and you better coat them or they will flash or get surface rust almost overnight it seems. I have seen several 1st gen cars with black painted hinges etc so they don't have to bother restoring them every few years.
My 2 cents
Good Luck
LM69Z28 ;)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
Old thread, but I have seen a lot of survivors now with the black latch spring as in the above photo.  JohnZ's car might still have it and I know he has lot's of pics of his car in a lot of areas.  He might have one of those.

My hood latch spring is gloss black, just like the one in deejaygee's photo up above.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
Our hood latch spring was original unrestored when we bought our car in 2003 and it was black!
LM69Z28

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Cast Blast "Cast Iron" rattle can is not technically correct but looks pretty good for a driver.

-Mark.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 03:28:13 AM »
I have had our original hinges, springs etc done (gray phosphate) 3 times since paint restoration in 2004 on out 69 Z/28. Refer to Jerry MacNeish Camaro book page 203 about finishes. We live at the beach, very wet and damp even in a warm garage with a cover on her. The hinge edges started to rust almost immediately the first go round. Did them again and used Tetsors lacquer semi-gloss spray paint to seal them. Finish looks good and does not change color or yellow over time (so far) That lasted about 4 years. I had then redone again a few months ago and HEAVILY coated them with the same clear coat and so far so good. Any moisture where you are and you better coat them or they will flash or get surface rust almost overnight it seems. I have seen several 1st gen cars with black painted hinges etc so they don't have to bother restoring them every few years.
My 2 cents
Good Luck
LM69Z28 ;)

Not sure how this works but I started to give it a try and time will tell. When applied you cannot see it!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
What is it?  There was a thread here or over at TC where a guy said he learned from some Model A restorers that you rub axle grease on the part and then wipe it off very well and it kept his parts from rusting for 10 years or more.  I did that on my steering box and it hasn't rusted in 3.
68Z28

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »
What is it?  There was a thread here or over at TC where a guy said he learned from some Model A restorers that you rub axle grease on the part and then wipe it off very well and it kept his parts from rusting for 10 years or more.  I did that on my steering box and it hasn't rusted in 3.
More info on the thread I have going on our z restoration. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584&page=25 Go to the bottom of this page for more info but basically it looks like a paste wax and you brush it on a heated part and according to many Chrsyler car guys it works great since you cannot see it unlike many oils and greases. Since I just used it for the first time the last couple of days we have no idea how well it works but felt it was worth a try. You can Google it to view the website also. Going to do a old casting piece I have and place it outside :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

anything