Author Topic: Suggestions Wanted For 1969 Camaro Custom Paint Design  (Read 39601 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Suggestions Wanted For 1969 Camaro Custom Paint Design
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
Hey guys, I am looking for opinions, suggestions, recommendations, you name it, for a paint scheme for my 1969 Camaro Coupe.  It is not original at all and has a 502 big block, TKO-600 transmission, 9" rear, 4-link rear suspension, Custom Martz chassis from frame/suspension, and tons of other aftermarket goodies to make this Camaro ride and drive like a new performance vehicle. 

Custom body mods include 69 Trans Am rear spoiler (although I may paint another trunk lid/stock spoiler for easy change back if desired), removed all side marker lights and door locks, and installed a cowl hood.  Since I have installed a Vintage AC system, I no longer need the cowl panel vent grilles...so I swapped out the Camaro cowl panel for one from a 69 Firebird where I will then fill in the grille vent area and the matching indentation on the Camaro hood, thus giving that area of the vehicle a nice and clean look).

Anyway, it is scheduled to go to the paint shop the first week of July.  I have been going over in my head for a long time now, how I want the car to look.  One thing I am sure of is I want  the car to be silver and charcoal metallic.  I have thought of staying with the Z28 stripes, but wonder if this has been played out too many times already. 

I have considered something on the idea of the Foose Camaro with a single large center stripe.  The main color either silver or charcoal with the center stripe being the other color.  Here is an example of the Foose design.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10612225407/exclusive-1969-camaro-by-foose-and-unique-performance

I have also looked at something on the idea of the San Antonio Spurs or Dale Jr. Camaros where the vehicles are two-tone, such as the examples below, but using a charcoal metallic instead of the black.  However, I would want to have a dividing line different from the flame scheme on the Dale Jr. Camaro or the silver streak effect on the Spurs one.  Any ideas on how to divide the two-tone colors using something else.  I was thinking something in a Chevy Bowtie blue color and then match that blue in the seat stitching of the interior.  So, any thoughts here? 

http://www.detroitspeed.com/projects/dalejrHRT/dalejrHRT-69-pg1.html

http://spurscamaro.com/

I am at the point I am just to overwhelmed and a fresh set of ideas may be just what I need.  This paintjob is not going to be cheap at all, and will be a top notch show finish.  Thus, I want it to be amazing, and eye-catching.  Not over the top, but not a simple common scheme.  Something that will not look like a fad later on and date the car.  Basically, I am looking for a paint scheme that is timeless and will still hold its own years from now.

So, if anyone has any cool ideas, I am open to any and all suggestions.  I wish there was some sort of photoshop program I could get that would let me load up a blank 69 Camaro and pick and choose colors and stripes and all that cool stuff with the click of a mouse button.  But I do not see where something like this is available.  If anyone knows of something like this, please let me know. 

If you do present me with a cool idea and I end up going with it for my paint scheme, I will give you my undying adulation and will also give you full credit on my display sign that I will set next to my Camaro when it goes to car shows.  Plus, if you are ever in the neighborhood, I will be happy to let you take the car for a spin around the block.  I know this may not seem like much, but it would be the least I could offer for a great idea.

As always, thanks for any and all help.  Every suggestion is appreciated.  Thanks.

Steve   

77thor

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions Wanted For 1969 Camaro Custom Paint Design
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
Personally, I don't like the 'Foose' stripe design and I am not a fan of two-tone paint jobs.
I like the original style Z stripes and I don't think that they're "played out". IMO, With your color choices they would look great.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »
Photoshop or any similar image editing program should let you import any photo of a Camaro and then do all the 'color change' and scheme things you want to see.... :)

Re your colors:  Silver and gray....   Have you considered a light silver main paint, fading to the darker color below the belt like break (as foose does a lot).. and then possibly adding the dark charcoal stripes in the light silver above?   The stripes could be the Z stripes, SS stripes, or even the '70 Boss stripe' approach... :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:01:04 PM »
How about painting it like the Z427 show car from '69 but using your color choices?
Jon Mello
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:48:28 AM »
I like the dx1 stripes myself and I almost never see them. If you go with the trans am spoiler, you could invert them from about the mid fender line at the back of the front door, and unite them in a bumble bee over the top of the TA spoiler. Hard to imagine, but I am not an artistic type. The end that normally ends in front of the windshield on front would start behind front door and begin the stripe to the rear. Good luck whatever you choose.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »
How about one that DOES date.the car? Like the endless line stripe design from the 70's, or a motion looking stripe with a stinger hood and the stripe up over the roof?
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:38:55 PM by 69Z28 »
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
 Glad to see the cool 70s are not dead..when a little cob webbing or vreeble were thought radical custom painting..Metalflake paint jobs were popular also. Everybody used Lacquer so painting in the shade was done often by those looking to make your car differnet than the 100s cruising the streets. The custom "Foose " jobs today don't do anything for me...matter of fact I'd be pissed if Chip were to screw up my Camaro with his idea of cool!!  I've been into painting junk on first gens since 1973 when custom painting was in demand.Check out the old car magazines from the 70s and you might just come up with your own idea..Color choice is somewhat  important when planning a custom paint job I beleive...The Motion Phase 3 with spoiler is a cool with a stinger hood.The Z427 with yellow/blk is a neat idea!Love the custom front spoiler!!

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »
Cob webbing...yeah I forgot about that. Do the cob webbing in the Motion paint scheme. What colors are you thinking of? Black with Silver or White stripes and black cob webbing would look outrageous.
GaryC

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:52:26 AM »
 So many combos to choose from.......one thing I'd check is to make sure you can get the webbing as it can only be done with one flavor paint...and it ain't real easy to find ! PM me and I might be able to help you.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:38:54 AM »
Cobwebbing can be done with unreduced base shot at low pressure. Alsa makes it too but I never tried it. Concepts within the stripes are endless but make sure you won't get sick of it. Ghost designs can be intricate but don't slam you in the face. Don't care for that Z427 design. Your blue dividing line can be done with turned or airbrush complimented silver leaf shot with blue candy. I have to do art and graphic concepts with drawings and sprayouts for jobs and it's time consuming. Your deadline will arrive very quickly. Find a custom shop that is that will show you samples and the many options. Always liked Mopar graphics as the bodylines on those cars lend themselves well to them. Even the simple qrt panel hockey sticks on the 70 Cuda is effective.

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 02:02:44 AM »
The modern cob webbing from Alsa are limited colors and I think no hugger orange or daytona yellow is avaliable yet ?Maybe somebody will let us know? So many opinions that don't matter at all...decide what you like and do it.Plenty of custom paints for sure TCP Global is a good source..I was painting metalflake when it was all silver..guess what year?

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »
If you're talking about cobwebbing...don't forget about lace. Very popular in the late sixties...especially on vans....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »
I am liking this Baldwin Motion look.  HMMMMM.  I may have to find a stinger hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJVmY8ee44

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »
Either way you can't beat that look. 69 or 70's style.
GaryC