Author Topic: 68 rear wheel molding placement  (Read 3161 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
68 rear wheel molding placement
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:04 AM »
I need help with placing of my 68 rear wheels moldings. My car has new repro quarter panels and outer wheelhouses which were installed a while ago. The joints where the quarter panel and the outer wheelhouses were welded together were bent down to far and have been corrected now. Now I am test fitting my original GM moldings to the wheel wells to make sure they fit together right.

I thought I marked my moldings pretty good when I took them off the original quarters but now I have my doubts as to which side is which. I know it should probably be obvious. I have attached pictures of both ends of one of my rear moldings and marked the ends A and B.

If someone can tell me which end goes towards the front of the car and which end goes towards the back, that will give me my answer.

There is another thing I need to figure out. You can rotate the rear moldings on the wheel well. There is no point on the car that corresponds to a point on the rear molding that tells you it is in exactly the right place. Not like the front. My original quarter panels are long gone for any kind of reference. I need a dimension from either the front or rear end of the molding to a point on the car that tells me exactly where they go. I looked in the AIM and it only gives dimensions for the front moldings so I am guessing the rears were put on my Fisher Body.

Thanks..................Dave

Rick68

• View Profile
Re: 68 rear wheel molding placement
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
A is the front and B goes toward the back.As far as placement goes the back part of the moulding is flush with the bottom of the quarter panel and the one screw hole is at the 12 oclock position.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: 68 rear wheel molding placement
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
Thanks so much for the information.

Dave

anything