Author Topic: Brake/Fuel Line Clip  (Read 6681 times)

Camarocards

• View Profile
Brake/Fuel Line Clip
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:52:35 AM »
I posted this on the team Camaro website but didn't get a lot of response. Perhaps someone here knows the answer to my question.

Everyone seems to sell the '67-'68 brake/fuel clip (p/n 3881339) that is red in color. I've seen on some of the so called "restored" cars that this clip is phosphate. Did this clip come from the factory with the red color or was it phosphated?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Brake/Fuel Line Clip
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:23:29 AM »
My unrestored 67 4B LOS fuel and brake clips are all phosphate. On my restored 67 5B NOR they were phosphate as well.
I haven't seen a red clip on an original 67 Camaro yet.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »
Bob, they were as Mike mentioned Phosphate! Open up this link and review post 537 http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584&highlight=3881339&page=36 and I show the back side of one of my original clips off our 68. The back side of my clips showed they were all phosphated and survivor experts have confirmed this fact many times. I just glass beaded off the red on the new ones and phosphated prior to installatioin. Use a tapered drive pin to set.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
Chick,
Perfect! Many thanks for confirming exactly what I thought. When I pulled my clips off they looked exactly like yours although it was difficult to tell after 45 years.  What threw me off was that all of repop suppliers only sell this clip in the red color (why, I don't know!).  I must admit that what got me thinking about this was one of the photos in your build (which by the way, has provided me with a ton of useful information) showed them as phosphate. From what both you and Mike have now confirmed I feel confident in applying a phosphate finish.

BTW...I have already beaded my originals and there is no sign of any pitting and they're in really great shape. Since they are original to the car and have the anchor markings I'd like to reuse them if possible. So, in your opinion can these be phosphated and reinstalled or would you suggest buying new ones and go through the process of beading and phosphating? Also, you're idea of using a center punch to reinstall them is great. I kept scratching my head trying to figure how these got installed to begin with.

Once again, many thanks!

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
Guess the only concern Bob might be how to re-affix the used ones to the body/sub-frame? Another heads up on installing new ones if needed! Use a 2nd set of hands as one needs to apply pressure to have the clip seated (I used a screw-driver to push the clip down) while another set of hands inserted the tapered punch and gave it a smack with a hammer.  ;D
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »
Chick, Thanks for the tip. I have couple more questions if you don't mind.

- I've attached a picture of one of the clips. My thought on re-installing it was to slight close the end of the clip that goes into the subframe and then use your center punch idea to open it back up once it's been installed. Since I haven't purchased any of the new clips, I don't know what the back side looks likes. Is it similar in design to the originals?

- In terms of phosphating, I'm considering using the Palmetto Enterprises concentrates. It looks like they offer both Zinc and Manganese. My question is, what color phosphate should the clips be? Charcoal black or light to medium gray?

Thanks!

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »
Chick, Thanks for the tip. I have couple more questions if you don't mind.

- I've attached a picture of one of the clips. My thought on re-installing it was to slight close the end of the clip that goes into the subframe and then use your center punch idea to open it back up once it's been installed. Since I haven't purchased any of the new clips, I don't know what the back side looks likes. Is it similar in design to the originals?

- In terms of phosphating, I'm considering using the Palmetto Enterprises concentrates. It looks like they offer both Zinc and Manganese. My question is, what color phosphate should the clips be? Charcoal black or light to medium gray?

Thanks!

Bob
Bob, the clips in the kit seem to be exact to what the originals were except for that darn red color. My comparison found no significant differences. The I.D. (inside diameter) is tapered which accomodates the process of using a tapered drive pin or auger. I'd recommend using the light to medium gray phoshate. Gotta love those Palmetto products. :) Make sure you wash/scrup the clips after the phosphate process with WD-40 so you do not have white salt residue on them after they cool.
It's easy but a few little tricks or lessons learned. Bottom line, follow the instructions......

Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »
 I'll second what Chick stated about gray. Many on the LOS car I have were preserved in grime and they show a dark gray finish when wiped clean.
I used dark gray phosphate for the 67 I am re-restoring  and they match the unrestored clips in appearance.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »
Many thanks Mike and Chic! You've both been a great help. Very much appreciate it.

Time to buy some clips and some of the Palmetto concentrate and have some fun. ;D
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

anything