Author Topic: Replacement Radiator  (Read 9572 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Replacement Radiator
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
Looking to replace my radiator with good quality reproduction that looks like the factory original. Does not have to be exact. Lots of choices from Heartbeat City, Classic Camaro, Ricks, D&R, etc. Anyone have experience with these who can comment. Thank you.
Jimmy V.

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Replacement Radiator
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Are you replacing an original that is beyond rebuild/re-core?  Last I heard, from someone well respected in the Camaro community, was that the repops weren't very good.  That was 1 or maybe 2 years ago.  I had mine re-cored and restored for about the same price as a repro. 

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »
I installed a new reproduction radiator from Classic Industries back in 2005 in my base '69 RS 327/Powerglide.  Everything fit well, radiator looks good, and I have not had a problem with it since the installation.  I hung the original radiator on the garage wall (where it still is).  

My personal experiences in the past with with trying to recore an original have not been good.  I know it can be done, but a lot of things have to be done correctly when mating old (almost 50 year old now) tanks to a new core - so I opted for the new reproduction and kept my original.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
It so happens that I have the original radiator, but I had it re-cored in the 80's. So the tanks are the original ones, the original ID tag is long gone. I just want something which looks pretty close and works well. I'll keep the original in case the car is restored someday and of course since it is the original part. Not sure I'll ever be the one to restore the car. I don't care about showing and all that stuff, I just like to drive it and enjoy it as it is now. It's a great looking, great running original Z , with pretty much all the original drivetrain etc. It's not going to win any shows, but it's plenty nice enough for me.

What Richard has done is along the same lines as what I'm thinking. Thanks for the input.
Jimmy V.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
I think if you check no matter who you buy one from they are likely all the same manufactor. I doubt there are any more than a couple people that build them. I have bought items from different places that were direct ship and they were both in Eclers boxes.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
Hey Jimmy...X2 dude. I don't even have an original radiator and I'm not too worried about it or restoring my Z. Just having a blast driving it as is and keeping it maintained.

It so happens that I have the original radiator, but I had it re-cored in the 80's. So the tanks are the original ones, the original ID tag is long gone. I just want something which looks pretty close and works well. I'll keep the original in case the car is restored someday and of course since it is the original part. Not sure I'll ever be the one to restore the car. I don't care about showing and all that stuff, I just like to drive it and enjoy it as it is now. It's a great looking, great running original Z , with pretty much all the original drivetrain etc. It's not going to win any shows, but it's plenty nice enough for me.

What Richard has done is along the same lines as what I'm thinking. Thanks for the input.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
Hey Gary, nice Z. The first one I looked at in 1982 was your color combo. Couldn't quite get the dealer done with the seller. He dropped the price, then raised it. Pride got in the way at that point. I'm quite happy with the one I ended up with, so it was probably the right move.

What' the pros and cons of the aluminum radiators being offered today, versus the original brass type? I'm seeing a lot of the aluminum ones.
Jimmy V.

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »
Thanks Jimmy. I had no choice in color when I first saw my Z in 2000. Once I verified it was a real Z I didn't realize it was silver until I got it home in my garage. Sounds funny, but it's true. I have to thank my wife for telling me about seeing it for sale on our local highway here in Delaware. I'm not much of a color fan on cars, black, white, silver, gold is what I go for, but these past 13 years learning about the 69 Z28 and the color combos, I like them all. Is your interior white or black?

Hey Gary, nice Z. The first one I looked at in 1982 was your color combo. Couldn't quite get the dealer done with the seller. He dropped the price, then raised it. Pride got in the way at that point. I'm quite happy with the one I ended up with, so it was probably the right move.

What' the pros and cons of the aluminum radiators being offered today, versus the original brass type? I'm seeing a lot of the aluminum ones.
GaryC

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 04:27:25 AM »
Alumitech makes a great aluminum radiator that has the side ribs like a Harrison. I got one and painted it black. And put it in my 67  You have to look at it close to know the difference. The top of it looks like a regular Harrison too.

Jerry

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
I got mine from Rick's before Eckler's bought them out and their prices went even more crazy. It fit fine and cools well. After some 6 years I have noticed some corrosion setting in at the bottom of the tanks. You still get what you pay for. Cheap = low quality. Spend the $$ for the quality.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Never understood why Ricks sold out. I always bought from them and never had any issues with parts and prices were pretty fair.
GaryC

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
He now has 'Classic Headquarters' (right next door to Ricks') and produces a lot of the parts which Rick (and others?) sells.. and he only has a few customers he has to keep happy..?   that's one possibility.  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:59:33 AM »
 I think the alum radiators cool better than a cooper and brass ...paint alum black and install

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »

I just was on this long and dusty lonely road looking for a recore. Of the two shops in my town, no one had access to the reproduction cores. And only one actually was interested in looking for a supplier.

I started my research and found that Heartbeat City claims the rights to the Harrison reproduction name and makes full radiators, cores and tanks. Only they do not sell the cores or tanks direct. Only full radiators and only on demand, no inventory. I looked at the Harrison full units at HBC but I do not have a large garage full of equipment such as a media blasting cabinet. HBC only ships them raw unpainted and warns that and you must glass bead before painting.
There is also a 6 to 8 week build wait when ordering. I need one before my original looses the ghost and dumps all over the garage floor.

I looked at other reproductions but wanted the factory OEM look and installation mounts. I also have a two row radiator, and most everyone out there is 3 or 4 row. Everyone raved about Alumitech but as far as I can tell they closed their doors forever Dec 31 2012. All the other aluminum units looked nothing like factory with smooth tanks and no shroud supports.  

Frustrated I shopped around and found the same Harrison reproduction units at Classic Industries, only already painted and ready to install for under 100 bucks more then HBC wanted, I had them pull it from stock and confirm it was painted. Also made sure it was not a return, all the Harrison's they offer are prepped and painted. I gave in and bought a three row since two wasn't available.

As a note I liked the price on the US Radiator reproduction which looked 60% original and I could have lived with that for 400 bucks but I found too many complaints of bad welds in terms of both quality and looks and the lack of shroud supports left me hesitant to pull the trigger.  

I will have the original rebuilt if I can find a shop capable of rebuilding it as a two row and hang it on the wall as a spare.  
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator