Author Topic: Drum Brake Steering Arms vs Discs  (Read 17939 times)

JKZ27

• View Profile
Re: Drum Brake Steering Arms vs Discs
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
I just replaced the control arm bushings on my 69SS and I found black paint under the bushings on the lower control arms.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
Originally, the upper control arms, dogbones, bolts and bushings were painted black as an assembly. Instead, many paint the dogbones Cast Blast/natural and leave the bushings and bolts unpainted.

I've never seen an unrestored car with the above components painted as you stated above. The pictures posted of those items painted looks like they've been spray canned at some point.   
  As I understand it only the control arm was painted black along with the dogbone, bushings and end caps and bolts as a whole unit, correct?
The shims and lock nuts were not painted black due to being assembled later.
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
Mike. I posted Chick's link because those were his findings. I have always left the dogbones natural. It's obvious the nuts and shims were not painted due to the assembly process. I did not immediately notice the nuts appeared black in the photo.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:47 AM »
Mike. I posted Chick's link because those were his findings. I have always left the dogbones natural. It's obvious the nuts and shims were not painted due to the assembly process. I did not immediately notice the nuts appeared black in the photo.
For some strange reason I didn't see any pictures in the links. After rebooting my PC do I now see what you are talking about.
So the control arm, dogbone and mounted bushing's was painted as a whole unit. I can accept that. Were the end washers and bolts painted black too? My thinking is the washers and bolts were added during assembly and torqued down once the full weight was on the chassis (motor, options, etc...). Or were they installed lose on the dogbone ends and painted along with the rest?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:43:33 AM »
Originally, the upper contol arms, dogbones, bolts and bushings were painted black as an assembly. Instead, many paint the dogbones Cast Blast/natural and leave the bushings and bolts unpainted.

I've never seen an unrestored car with the above components painted as you stated above. The pictures posted of those items painted looks like they've been spray canned at some point.   
Steve, you have never seen a survivor with paint on the dog bone or washers?
Agree the picture in reference by Scott was not good as that was a survivor at last years Camaro Nationals. Car is a great one but that area looks like it sure was hit later on. :)
My amount of cars reviewed is small compared to yours yet I've seen many with black paint remnants.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 02:12:54 AM »
For some strange reason I didn't see any pictures in the links. After rebooting my PC do I now see what you are talking about.
So the control arm, dogbone and mounted bushing's was painted as a whole unit. I can accept that. Were the end washers and bolts painted black too? My thinking is the washers and bolts were added during assembly and torqued down once the full weight was on the chassis (motor, options, etc...). Or were they installed lose on the dogbone ends and painted along with the rest?

Mike

Reviewing old posts
Plan on dropping the subframe in a few weeks for a nice winter project.....so what's the verdict on the end washers ?  Pg # 36 in Chick's build  the "unit" is gloss black. Ball joints natural. Final assembly fasteners painted ? Shims natural?  I hate replacing them because the car is still tight ,but the bushings show some dry rot ,so they are getting bagged and shelved.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
The upper control arm was positioned in a fixture; the bushings, cross bar, washers and bolts were assembled to it and torqued. The fixture established the position of the bar relative to the arm for assembly to the frame in production. The assembly was then dipped in a black coating. The ball joint was installed afterwards and was not coated. The coating was not intended to last 40+ years; none of the parts had any prep. Don't draw conclusions based on how a part looks today; I have seen plenty of rusty Camaro subframes in my days that were known to have been coated. 44 years is a long time.

Painted upper control arm assemblies are visible in engine bay photos in vintage road tests. Washers were coated.
Learning more and more about less and less...

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »
What I remembered, thanks.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..