Author Topic: Drum Brake Steering Arms vs Discs  (Read 18008 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Drum Brake Steering Arms vs Discs
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:22:10 AM »
I am doing a drum to disc brake conversion and would like to know what the difference is between drum brake steering arms and steering arms for a 69 Z/28.

Thanks
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Drum Brake Steering Arms vs Discs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:28:13 AM »
From the SUSPENSION page:

Changes to the steering linkage were used to change the overall steering ratio. Regular cars were equipped with a shorter 5.25" pitman arm (forging # 3953219) and longer steering arms (3954873 RH and 3954874 LH). Z28 and RPO N44 (special steering) cars utilized a longer pitman arm (forging # 3953227, 5.8" center-center) and shorter steering arms.

A special fast-ratio manual steering gear was used for Z28's with RPO N44. The manual Z28 with N44 used with the same longer pitman arm and shorter steering arm combination as listed above. Z28's with N44 are very uncommon (and not fun to drive).

Ed

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:10 AM »
From the SUSPENSION page:

Changes to the steering linkage were used to change the overall steering ratio. Regular cars were equipped with a shorter 5.25" pitman arm (forging # 3953219) and longer steering arms (3954873 RH and 3954874 LH). Z28 and RPO N44 (special steering) cars utilized a longer pitman arm (forging # 3953227, 5.8" center-center) and shorter steering arms.

A special fast-ratio manual steering gear was used for Z28's with RPO N44. The manual Z28 with N44 used with the same longer pitman arm and shorter steering arm combination as listed above. Z28's with N44 are very uncommon (and not fun to drive).

Ed

Thanks Ed

I am putting my subframe together and I was told that the steering arms on a drum brake car are different, than the stock 69 Z/28 steering arms. Also I am using power Discs. Just want to know if I can use my drum brake steering arms or if I should get correct Z/28 steering arms. I think you are saying that the steering arms are only different on the N44 manual brake cars. Is that correct.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:50:37 PM »
The P & A manual lists them separately so they are different.

There really are no 'Z/28' steering arms. Fast-ratio power steering SS cars used the same arms with the 5.75" Pitman arm. All Z/28s used them with manual or power steering. If you use them you will have to use the 5.75" Pitman PS set up. You could use standard steering disc brake stuff; doesn't have to be fast ratio.
Learning more and more about less and less...

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:06:06 AM »
HERE'S a link to David Pozi's site showing the differences between the steering arms (scroll down about half way).

Ed

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:11:19 AM »
Are you replacing the drum brake spindles too Mike?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 04:21:29 AM »
I put a Right Stuff Detailing Disc Brake conversion kit on my '67, and was told in the instructions to re-use the Drum brake steering arms.  I followed the instructions and have put about 2,400 miles on the car with no issues.  Drives and handles great.  I'm not sure the same applies to '68 or '69, just stating what worked on my '67.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »
Are you replacing the drum brake spindles too Mike?

Hey Tim. Yes full disc brake conversion kit from HBC. Installed tonight to make my car a roller. I installed the spindles, rotors and steering arms. Once the car is back in the shop I will do some detail work and torque everything down to spec.

Special thanks to Lloyd for pointing me in the right direction and showing me how to do it right. His help is invaluable on this build. I Could not have come this far with his expertise and guidance.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

L78racer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
Paul

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
Originally, the upper contol arms, dogbones, bolts and bushings were painted black as an assembly. Instead, many paint the dogbones Cast Blast/natural and leave the bushings and bolts unpainted.

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »
Originally, the upper contol arms, dogbones, bolts and bushings were painted black as an assembly. Instead, many paint the dogbones Cast Blast/natural and leave the bushings and bolts unpainted.

Interesting. I have never seen a car restored with black painted dog bones and bushings etc. My car was all original and there was no trace of paint left on the dig bones.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »

Interesting. I have never seen a car restored with black painted dog bones and bushings etc. My car was all original and there was no trace of paint left on the dig bones.
Info and original photos, pages 18. 19 nd 36. Paint wears off poorly prepped metal. Your car was not rust free, pampered vehicle that rarely saw the elements. Longevity of component paint was not a concern, It's not like they epoxied or powdercoated things back then, or today for that matter. Look at a frame on a new truck after a few years. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584&highlight=control+arms&page=18
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1566542&highlight=control+arms#post1566542 http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1719947&highlight=dog+bones#post1719947

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
The pics on page 36 show the painted washers, bushings, shafts etc but also show the bolts and nuts holding the a arm to the frame painted black.  Looks to me like someone had done some later painting. This is the first time I have heard that those parts were painted as a assembly.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

I've never seen an unrestored car with the above components painted as you stated above. The pictures posted of those items painted looks like they've been spray canned at some point.   
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
The pics on page 36 show the painted washers, bushings, shafts etc but also show the bolts and nuts holding the a arm to the frame painted black.  Looks to me like someone had done some later painting. This is the first time I have heard that those parts were painted as a assembly.
I overlooked that. I saw no overspray on the fuel line and assumed it was untouched. I generally never take anyone's word for anything unless I verify it with numerous sources and reference.  The detail with Chick's build led to my error of assumption. I've never painted all those components black. That thread had me questioning my procedure.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:14:10 PM by Sauron327 »