Author Topic: 1968 Camaro mono leag to multi leaf conversion  (Read 14487 times)

viking

• View Profile
1968 Camaro mono leag to multi leaf conversion
« on: August 08, 2006, 10:26:01 PM »

I am in the process of replacing my mono-leaf rear springs to mulri leaf springs. I have the new leaf springs with the new front bushing and have purchased the multi leaf spring installation kit (OER) plus the shock extensions.
From what I understand I will also require a shim going on  the top of the leaf spring where the bolt goes through the spring to the spring perch, as there is no provision in the mono leaf axle perch to accomodatethe bolt that goes throught the spring? Is this correct, or is there something else I require?
Any information on this conversition is appreciated.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Camaro mono leag to multi leaf conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 04:16:18 AM »
Viking, do you have new spring perches for the rear axle? You'll have to have new spring perches to match the multileafs. Monoleaf springs have a locating tab, too, and I don't exactly understand your problem. You can shim monoleaf springs into multileaf perches (not good) but not the other way around.  Can you be more specific?
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

viking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »

I have the five leaf muti springs and the OEM spring installation kit. I know that the axle spring perches are different between the mono and multi leaf perches , with the multi leaf perches being deeper and haaving a provision (hole) in the center of te perch to accomodate the bolt had which goes throught the multi leaf springs which  holds them together. From what I have been reading is the 1967 mono leaf spring perch does not have any hole in the center of the perch to accomodaste the multi springs, but that the 1968 (which I have) may have a hole to accomodate the multi leaf spring. Other infroamtion I have been able to gather is that if there is no provision (hole in the mono perch) for the muli leaf spring that a shim  (6 inchses iin length, 2 1/2 inches in width and 1/2 inches thick with a 1/2 inch hole in the center can be installed betwen the spring and the perch to accomodate the multi spring bolt  using 2 U-bolts for each spring.  I understand that this method is used without having to remove the multi spaf spring perches and welding on new mulit leaf spring perches????  Any thoughts on this??

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:19:09 AM »
Don't see what the '67 springs have to do with anything. If you have the '68 springs and new correct perches for the rear axle, it's a bolt-in once you weld the new perches to the axle tubes. If the new springs have the locating tabs (which they should) and the new perches have the locating holes (which they should) it's a no-brainer. You can join them with U-bolts or tabs, either way. Energy Suspension makes some nice urethane spring pads, by the way--inexpensive and they won't rot like rubber. Hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

viking

• View Profile
Re: 1968 Camaro mono leaf to multi leaf conversion
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »

The conversion from the mono leaf springs to the multi leaf springs has been completed with no problems encountered.
 In order to properly seat the multi leaf springs I installed the 1/2 inch shim between the springs and upper mono leaf perch. This made up for the bolt going throught the multi-leaf spring  so as to properly fit with the mono-leaf spring perch, as the mono-leaf spring perch do not have the provision to acccomodate the spring bolt.  The upper spring pad was installed between the shim and spring perch. This shim allow for the use of the mono-feaf spring perch without have to remove it and install the mulit-leaf sprin perch.  Ehe rear shocks were  extended 2 inches  to accomodate the multi-leaf springs  The ride height  and ride is great Thank you.