Author Topic: did DZ block have screen in valley like in the pic from the factory?  (Read 9550 times)

daves87gn

• View Profile
seller says there original?

Dave, SoCal
1969 Camaro z/28 (x77) Cortez Silver, endura front bumper, deluxe black interior,Rosewood dash with no tach or console, m22, BV 4:10 rear

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
seller says there original?
No, not from the factory (unless you have one of those very rare 302's that GM prepared for special high performance use in racing.. :)       (tongue in cheek)..
The screens are typically installed by 'racers' after grinding out the flash that usually is around oil drainback opernings to prevent chunks of metal from finding their way back in the oilpan and possibly doing more damage.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

daves87gn

• View Profile
Hey Gary

That's what i assumed, but just wanted confirmation

Thanks
Dave
Dave, SoCal
1969 Camaro z/28 (x77) Cortez Silver, endura front bumper, deluxe black interior,Rosewood dash with no tach or console, m22, BV 4:10 rear

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Dave, What Gary said. I remember reading in a HOT ROD mag back in the early 70's that had an article in it about prepping a block for faster oil flow back to the pan and those 4 drain back corners were smoothed out and screens were epoxied in to catch debris. If I remember correctly there was something about smoothing out the valley walls all they way around too. As a matter of fact the 350 LT1 spec engine in my Z right now has had the valley smoothed out. I'm assuming done by the previous owner.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
GaryC

daves87gn

• View Profile
Dave, What Gary said. I remember reading in a HOT ROD mag back in the early 70's that had an article in it about prepping a block for faster oil flow back to the pan and those 4 drain back corners were smoothed out and screens were epoxied in to catch debris. If I remember correctly there was something about smoothing out the valley walls all they way around too. As a matter of fact the 350 LT1 spec engine in my Z right now has had the valley smoothed out. I'm assuming done by the previous owner.

yea, seem my share of motors with this done but never from the factory, seller believes motor my have been through the hands of Al Bartz or Traco at some point in its history, but since its been apart and has different heads and intake, i think its a moot point

Hey Dave, have you been to the Yenko site? Here is something you may be interested in if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/491900/gonew/1/FS_69_Camaro_Z28_DZ_block_vin_#UNREAD

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/530384/gonew/1/69_Camaro_302_DZ_Engine#UNREAD

i did register and sent a PM thanks for the help Gary

Thanks
Dave
Dave, SoCal

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Back in the day it was also popular to paint the lifter valley with multible coats of gloss paint to speed oil drainback. I never did it for fear of the paint flaking off and stopping up the oil pump but a lot of guys did.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Back in the day it was also popular to paint the lifter valley with multible coats of gloss paint to speed oil drainback. I never did it for fear of the paint flaking off and stopping up the oil pump but a lot of guys did.

That paint is still available - it's "Glyptal"; GE used it for many years in industrial electric motors - oil doesn't bother it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Theres some in my lifter valley on my current cars 350ci engine.  Been there since 1983 looks pretty much the same last time I was in there.  Used it on a big block in my 70 Chevelle, and a Pontiac 455 back in the late 70's as well.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

daves87gn

• View Profile
I know a guy that still uses it in all his the motors he builds, he has a good reputation, so he doesn't mess with success, i was at his shop last week, and saw a fresh short block with the valley painted
Dave, SoCal

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Re: did DZ block have screen in valley like in the pic from the factory?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
I heard that the 'Glyptal' paint is expensive. The  '74 350 block I'm currently using in my Z isn't painted but the valley has been smoothed out really nice. It's been a few years since I was in there but I know the sides are done for sure just not sure about the bottom part.
GaryC

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 02:50:56 AM »
I always deburr casting flash in the drainbacks and paint the interior cast surfaces...

If you clean your block well, you can use 'rustoleum' (buy a quart size can and brush it on)..  I like black, as it will show 'silvery' on disassembly if there's every been metal in the oil...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:05:25 AM »

That paint is still available - it's "Glyptal"; GE used it for many years in industrial electric motors - oil doesn't bother it.

Glyptal is NOT a paint, it is a Air Dried (Cured) insulating varnish used in electrical motor and armatures.
The current formulation is found here:
http://www.sprayon.com/products/red_insulating_varnish
It resists solvents, fuels and heat. Excellent hot rod  product for the oil rain back surfaces in any motor, Esp  those little 302's ,,,,,,,,,,,,
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

anything