Author Topic: Trunk lock orientation issue...? (67)  (Read 6094 times)

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Trunk lock orientation issue...? (67)
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
I posted this over on TC, but thought to see if anyone here could add to this... http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1805193&posted=1#post1805193

In the final assembly phase of my '67, go to put the trunk lock cylinder in and when in, the key slot is rotated about 90 degrees.
The key slot is normally vertical, and since there's only one way the cylinder fits in the lock opening ,something is odd.
I've never had an issue with this, ...anyone else ever come across this?

For the record, my car is an early build '67 (Oct. '66), and this is the original rear panel.

Ironically I was comparing to my other '67  (a survivo coupe) which is exactly the same since it's also an Oct. '66 build. But something doesn't add up when looking at the drawing from the other thread comparing the two layouts. Mine seems to match the one on the right, ...but neither of the tailpanels have ever been changed on either of the cars. (?)
 Can someone verify this drawing is labelled correctly?

I never really paid much attention to the alignment slots on these locks. Is '68 the same as the '67?
   The net here is I need to figure out what lock cylinder to get that will be oriented correctly since my car is in final paint...

Thanks,

Kevin

FYI, ...this is a photo of my survivor (41,000 miles) '67 coupe. The tail panel along with all the other sheet metal is original.

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Re: Trunk lock orientation issue...? (67)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
 ...just an update, ...not Oct '66 ...I should have said Nov '66 (11B)

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Don,t know that it helps but I have two 69,s each with the lock orintation different. the late one has the key 90 degrees off. the keys if not original sure appear to be. Neither has had the rear panel replaced.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
I don't know if this is your issue, but my 68 had a 67 trunk lock cylinder in it.  It was keyed correctly to the car and original GM stuff, but somewhere someone replaced the trunk lock with a 67 cylinder.  I don't know why they used 67 but the lock itself was the 68 so I didn't have the orientation problem.  Maybe someone replaced your lock with a 68 lock and put the original 67 cylinder in it.
68Z28

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
 My 4B-LOS and 5B-NOR 67's with their original rear R/S panels have the same knockout as your posted photo. The actual keyway notch in the lock itself when mounted is located towards the bottom right side and the key position is vertical. In the drawing it shows as Type 2 late model so I suspect the drawing is wrong for period correctness being you have an earlier body with the same knockout shape as my later period body.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
   I should add, my cars (again both of them) are LOS 11B cars.
   I would consider them both 'early cars' (both have the subframes without the tow hook holes too), ...so I'm not clear on the trunk lock stuff.

Does anyone have any detail with regard to specifics on the trunk lock dates as far as what is considered "early"?

( I went ahead and ordered a '68 lockset to get me going for now, ...just more curious on the specifics on the different cutouts at this point.)

Thanks,

Kevin

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »
Don't have the details right off the top of my head, but when I ran into my trunk thing I found info some where.  I just can't remember right now.
68Z28

anything