Author Topic: Historic Trans-Am Tech Talk at the Sonoma Historics (Saturday, May 18th @ 12pm)  (Read 11561 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Hello folks,

For those attending the Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival this weekend, on Saturday, at noon, in the driver's lounge, we'll have another "tech talk" session on some of the unique parts that were made for these cars in the glory days of the Trans-Am. 

The discussion will last 45 minutes, and will be hosted by several of this weekend’s Historic Trans-Am participants.  The discussion will be on some of the special parts that Ford made for their Trans-Am racers.  The individual items discussed will be off of the vehicle for better viewing and individual inspection.  Please drop by and learn a little bit about what makes these Trans-Am cars so special.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the notification, Chad. I'm glad that another one of these "tech talk" sessions has been put together.
I thought the one you did last year at Monterey turned out well and it's great to see HTA build off of that. I'll see you Friday.
Jon Mello
CRG

67 rss

• View Profile
Thanks for posting Chad/Jon...not sure I will get over to the track.

I'll have my '67 "next door" at the Concours on Sunday. Weather looks hot..84 degrees for Napa on Sunday.

Tough competition with all the Corvette excitement this year...I think expectations are for 3-400 to circle the track...

http://concours2013.com/2013/

Lane

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Very informative presentation by Brian Ferrin and Craig Conley and I can't believe these guys even had pretty much a complete Boss 302 engine
on display. Very nice job by these guys and some help from Chad Raynal as well. I look forward to seeing what might be on display in the future.

Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
   I spent the weekend at the Mecum Auction in Indy with David Tom and John Miller. David is just finishing his book on the TransAm cars . Warren Dernoshek and I were able to add a little info and photos for him. David and John were hoping to sell the 1970 Smokey Yunick Camaro Pilot car ...but no buyer yet.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
What a great picture of the rubberized bellhousing that Ford ran on the Boss 302's. They are very hard to find.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I'd never seen anything like it. Sure looked interesting to me.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
Nothing would surprise me about Craig. He has a lot of great Ford stuff and is a wealth of information.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
It was a stock aluminum bell coated in some kind of ballistc jell. The T/A cars had 157 tooth bells but they did make 164 tooth versions also.

OCTARD

• View Profile
Jon, before you arrived to the seminar, Mike Eddy also spoke about the Individual Runner (IR), dual four barrel Holley (Dominator style) set-ups and off-set distributors used in the 1969-spec Boss 302 engines.  And before that, Craig Conley spent a good bit of time reviewing the tunnel-port heads that were used in the 1968 season.

Only mentioning this in an effort to recognize the folks who loaned their time, effort, parts and knowledge.

Ross Myers and Chris Liebenberg also need to be thanked for bringing parts out from Pennsylvania for the talk.

On the ballistic gel coated bellhousing, Brian Ferrin was lucky enough to score that piece at a swap meet.  He noted how you could still see the remnants of the "Sharpie" permanent ink with the price(s).  He said that the first time around to see the part, it had $40 in permanent ink.  The next time around it was $80... but he was able to talk the fellow down to a final purchase price of $50.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info on the others involved, Chad. No intentional slight to those people. I simply didn't know any better. You're right that I came in sometime after it started. I lost track of the time. Thankfully I didn't miss the whole thing!
Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
Wish I could have been there!

Sonoma event photo's are up:

http://www.historictransam.com/racephotos/2013SonomaHistorics-1.html

Loud Pipes Save Lives

anything