Author Topic: Found another one : ) ...'67 with just under 40,000 miles!  (Read 10994 times)

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Found another one : ) ...'67 with just under 40,000 miles!
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:58:04 PM »
On a recent visit to my brother's in Nevada, ...I purchased another '67 Camaro, ...believe it or not, ...with 39,xxx original miles. I don't have pics yet, but will shortly...
   (Interestingly enough, ..."RickH", a good friend of mine and a fellow member on this board is still out west and (hopefully ; ) will be taking the photos this week when he stops by to see it, ...I did not take any while I was there : ( 
 ...Anyway,  ...It's a 327/275hp, PG, Gold (w/Blk vinyl top) Dlx Blk interior, factory AC, with factory SMOG (original pump is in a box in the trunk), ...and amazingly has it's black California plates STILL on it (that JUST expired 8/12/2006), ...it's still VERY road worthy and runs just fine. Other than a few 'shopping cart' dents and an older repaint, ...the car is in very good shape, ...all original sheetmetal with NONE needing replacement.
...I've even talked with the 'old lady' who owned it from 1972 - 2005. She remembers buying it (from a used car lot), ..."...it had 1700 miles on it, ...and she paid $1700...". I'm hoping to obtain some photos of it when she owned it...

Couple questions:
Is there any way within California to do a DMV history, ...since it seems the plates that are currently on the car appear to have been registered with it since pre-72 (?). Since it does have SMOG, ...then it seems to have been originally built for/sold in California. (When were the Black CA plates in issue anyway? ...what years?)

WHERE have you found your build sheet? ...this car only has 39,000 (and something) miles on it. Spring tags, jacking instructions, ...the car really has not been touched. I know of the 'above the gas tank';, ...'behind back seat', ...where have they been known to be found? (I've been messing with these cars for years, ...I've yet to ever find one. My fingers are crossed that this will be the one I find it in...)

Kevin

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Found another one : ) ...'67 with just under 40,000 miles!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:33:42 PM »
California black plates were phased out very late in the 1969 calendar year.  A '69 Mustang I owned at the time had black plate number ZLP-???  I have seen a few 1969 cars with the next color sequence (blue w/yellow letters) and alpha numeric sequences beginning with AAA-???, ABA-???, etc. 

To answer another part of your question, it is very difficult to trace a car through California DMV unless you have law enforcement or insurance connections.  The average citizen hits a blank wall very quickly. 

Good luck,

c

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:09:04 PM »
Kevin,

From previous experiences I fear CNORTON may be right.  Any state's DMV reports can dead end fast even for someone with "authority" (dealer, attourney, etc.)
But since that lady owned it so long, you could get lucky.
Here's a place online to start: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdmv04.htm
This could start you out with a $5 fee or a $5 phone call, but if you're willing to give it a shot...
Good luck!

Post the pictures and let us know what happens.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:14:38 AM »
Thanks for the DMV link...

The Black plates on the car are noted on a title dated in '72 timeframe, ...and the plate # starts with the letter "T", ...which if correct (from what I read today on Team Camaro thread) could be the original plate issued to the car in '67. (I didn't realize the plates stay with the car in California.)
   ...I suspected the DMV search may hit a wall, ...but I'll give it a try...

Thanks,
              Kevin

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
Interesting Thread:

My 11D 69 plate starts out with a Y

I've also been told I can re-register the car with these original plates even though the car hasn't been registered since 1975, providing I can produce both plates.
Also, typically all (california) DMV records are off the computer after 5 or 7yrs- (non-registered cars), cant remember, its one of the 2 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 03:14:22 PM by GS STAGE 1 »

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:36:57 AM »
...neat pic of the '69, ...Interesting that both our cars are gold, ...and still have the CA blackplates on them. (and with a "Y", ...it seems they could be the originals to your car too  :) )

As for the CA DMV records, ...lucky for me, my car has had a current CA registration (with the TTN913 blackplates)  that JUST expired 8/12/2006. I'm hoping that will help in the 'history chase'.

I did call the CA DMV office and they sent me a form to complete ("VR Registration Information Request (INF 70R)"). If it goes through AND the information is on file that far back, ...it might come up with something.  It's going out in today's mail, ...I'll keep you posted...

Anyone here that lives in California? ...do you know how far back they keep DMV records?

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »
I would definately be interested in hearing your results. I was born and raised in california, but I never tried to do a search that far back.
This is actually my second 69 camaro........in the mid 90's I traded my chevy stepside 4x4 for this cloned Z-28, the car had a perfect body. I had the car 3 weeks and was in the san fernando valley-(california) stopped with my turn signal on getting ready to turn into a gas station when I was rearended by a car estimated doing 60mph, this is the only picture I have of the car, it was right after the accident. The insurance company settled with me and I bought the car back from them for $600, then took it to the pomona swap meet where i sold it for $1600. I had always thought it was a base camaro, but turns out it was a real SS with some serious tweeks to the motor. I wouldn't even be surprised if someone on the board owns it
Im rambling, but the reason I brought this up, is the car had the original black plates that started with ZRG ??? Kinda hard to see in the photo
Believe it or not, as wauded as it was, the car still drove straight

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:05:17 PM »
 ...that is a neat (well not so neat considering the crinkles) photo.
   Interesting about these CA Black Plates, ...I didn't know a thing about them until recently, ....and I've had a set hanging in my garage for years. My brother in Vegas sent them back to me years ago, ...thought they were pretty cool. Wierd (cool) thing is, ....the plates in my garage start with a "Z", ...so they would be correct for a '69.  :)

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 02:44:08 PM »
The California black plate muslecars are definately some of the most pursued cars
There's actually an original L89 camaro at Pomona swap meet almost every meet, if it hasn't been sold yet, its been a couple month's since my last visit, that has the original black plates with the original 1975 or so registration sticker still in place, just like my base car. Its a root beer in color, in nice shape, maybe a members car, Its a big buck car. I think he's had offers above 80 large
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:35:21 PM by GS STAGE 1 »

Geoff Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 07:58:02 AM »
A 67 02A RS/SS Camaro I just purchased is original CA Black plate and starts with "U". The 68 Camaro is original CA Black Plate and it starts with "V". I am interested to know the results of your search too as I want to find out the previous owners details of the 67 RS/SS.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 03:25:50 PM by Geoff Smith »

keith k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 03:18:26 AM »
I imported a '68 Firebird 400 from CA a couple years ago.  Had its original black plates that were WDM ***.
keith k

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 01:13:22 PM »
...nothing to add here, ...other than to say I got a reply back from CA DMV office.
   A little 'checkmark' in the box for "Too old. Records do not go back that far."

...Oh well, ...I had to try.....

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 01:40:26 AM »
Ask the old lady where she bought the car.  I bought my 68-RS from California as well and tried to go back to the dealer - Parker Robb Chevrolet in Walnut Creek, CA but they are under different ownership and no longer have records from Parker. 

Good luck.  I about pulled my hair out trying to originate mine.  It too has very low mileage - 37k documented miles, and I knew I had come across something special.  Thing is it is special - you don't have to kill yourself searching every nook and cranny to prove it.  At the end of the day - you're really the only one that needs to be happy with it.

Enjoy the ride!!

;D