Author Topic: Brake Lights  (Read 4094 times)

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
Brake Lights
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
I own a 69 12C Convertible non RS. When I hit the brakes only the outboard lights illuminate. I checked the bulbs and the outboard bulbs are 1157 and the inboard bulbs are 1156. The inboard sockets are the single pole style and the wiring harness is the original.  My 69RS Z has all four rear sockets with two poles for the 1157 bulb. I recently owned a 04D 69 Convertible and it had four two pole sockets so all four lights illuminate when the brakes are applied. There are only two wires going to the inboard socket as well. Is this an early car thing or a original harness that just was not built to spec? I don't have the reverse socket in the tail light socket...checked that too.

Thanks Guys

Lawrence
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Lights
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »
There's always been something about the standard tail lights that has been a mystery of sorts to me. On my 69 Z the outboard and inboard bulbs are on when the switch is in the running and/or headlight position. If I use the bulbs that it indicates to use in the owners manual the inboard bulb is always brighter than the outboard bulb when the light switch is on, and the state of Delaware doesn't like that. I had to find another lower candle power bulb that matches the outboard 1157 bulb in the running light position(not sure what number I used). I always though that both the inboard and outboard lights were supposed to flash when using the turn signal or apply the brakes, but they don't. The inboard light is just an ornamental light (that's what I call it anyway) and doesn't have any other function but to come on when the light switch is on. As for RS lights it may be different., I've not had the priledge of being near one to see how they work. I'm curious what others will say.   
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
There's always been something about the standard tail lights that has been a mystery of sorts to me. On my 69 Z the outboard and inboard bulbs are on when the switch is in the running and/or headlight position. If I use the bulbs that it indicates to use in the owners manual the inboard bulb is always brighter than the outboard bulb when the light switch is on, and the state of Delaware doesn't like that. I had to find another lower candle power bulb that matches the outboard 1157 bulb in the running light position(not sure what number I used). I always though that both the inboard and outboard lights were supposed to flash when using the turn signal or apply the brakes, but they don't. The inboard light is just an ornamental light (that's what I call it anyway) and doesn't have any other function but to come on when the light switch is on. As for RS lights it may be different., I've not had the priledge of being near one to see how they work. I'm curious what others will say.    

Look at the rear harness and lamp sockets - the inboard lamps only have two wires - power and ground, so all they do is light a single filament all the time, at regular taillight brightness. The brake lights and turn signals only operate the outboard lamps, which have three wires (low running light filament, high brake/turn signal filament, and ground).

My original bulbs are double-contact #1157 for the outboards, and #97 single-contact for the inboards, and all four are identical brightness in the running light position. The owner's manual doesn't say anything about the inboard bulbs - it just mentions the tail/stop/turn lights, which are only the outboards.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
Thanks guys that clears that up. I need to buy new bulbs.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles