Author Topic: 68 repro doors - Problems with? Who makes?  (Read 3233 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
68 repro doors - Problems with? Who makes?
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
I am faced with the possibility of having to get repro doors for my '68. I don't know yet if my original doors are candidates for new skins. I have looked around past forum posts and can't find too many good things said about the repros.

Are there different manufacturers for these doors or just one? Most of the posts I read with bad comments about them are a little old now. I was wondering if there are any new stampings out there that are better quality?

Besides just to fitting the door to the body, I am worried about all the things that attach to the door.....Exterior handle, lock cylinder, interior door panel, interior handle, deluxe interior grab handle, reveal molding on the top, window tracks and regulators, fuzzies, weather stripping, window guides, hinges, latch mechanism, etc. That's a whole bunch of mounting holes that have to be in the right place!

Can anyone who has used repro doors on a '68 comment as to how much trouble they with attaching all of these things.

Thanks,
Dave

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: 68 repro doors - Problems with? Who makes?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:35:36 AM »
I have a friend that just went through 3 complete sets of repops to get doors that didn't have waves, dips and washboard panels - he finally gave in to the last set and did a lot of filler work and buildup on the edges to get the things smooth. To top it off, his car is a '67 - he is going through the vent window fitment as well, which is a pain.
There apparently are at least 2 manufacturers of complete doors, maybe more. General construction is not bad, shipping/handling and packaging seems to be a bigger issue. Metal gauge thickness and weight is different from originals as far as I can tell, but I'm not a professional bodyman - just my opinion.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: 68 repro doors - Problems with? Who makes?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the info (even though that's not what I was hoping to hear).

AMD told me that they are making their own '68 door skins now and are working on '68 complete shells but they weren't ready yet. AMD said the complete door shells they are selling right now are from Dynacorn.

Has anyone had experience with Dynacorn '68 doors as far as metal thickness, fitment to the body, and all the things that attach to the door?

Also, does anyone know if Dynacorn doors and Golden Legion doors are on in the same or different pieces?

Thanks.......Dave