Author Topic: Wiper Motor codes....?  (Read 5471 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Wiper Motor codes....?
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:22:10 AM »
Attached is a photo of the silver sticker on my original  1969 RS wiper motor...

it has the PN (5045605) as well as a second line of codes:    227  9  6  A.
I think/suspect (based on my 09C build date) that the 227 is a Julian date (mid July or thereabouts), the '9' is the year, but I have no idea about the 6 and the A.   

Can anyone provide a better decode of these numbers??

Thanks,

Gary / 69Z28-RS
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Wiper Motor codes....?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
Gary, The 6 A is probabaly plant/line code, I have seen B F too. You are asking about rebuild services.  I have rebuilt these in the past and have a very good working knowledge of them.  What is not working? Generally if the motor does not spin, it is rust on the bushings, broken windings or the bearings are seized.  If it runs slow or does not park, then the internal parts need cleaning and adjusting.  Is your base riveted or peened with 4 little triangles at each hole?  your case looks good, so at least it will not need glass beading and you can preserve the label.  First step is to remove the end plate and look at the condition of the bushing and commutator. If they are not clean, the only way to remove the motor shell to clean it is to seperate the gear halves by drilling the rivets or bending the triangles.  The triangles only have one more bend/flatten cycle on them before they break from fatigue. so get it right the first time :) then inside the motor wires are soldered onto the contact board.  then it is cleaning/checking/lubing.  It is not hard, just time consuming :)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
Kevin,
Your comments are good!  :)  .. but I wish I'd known THIS part before trying to get the motor casing off...
“If they are not clean, the only way to remove the motor shell to clean it is to seperate the gear halves by drilling the rivets or bending the triangles. The triangles only have one more bend/flatten cycle on them before they break from fatigue. so get it right the first time “..

I removed the cover and lubricated the top bearing, but the motor still would  not turn.  Either the lower bearing or gears or ?? seemed to be holding it.  I didn't want to separate the gear plates because I believed I'd have to drill out those crimps (per the service manual) and use obvious screws...  I tried to remove the brushes without the wires being removed, and I think I broke something..*possibly the contact board'...  :( .  I HOPE this part is available...      The way you suggest above seems very doable.   Well.. we live.. and sometimes we learn..  and sometimes the learning comes too late..  :)

Gary

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
oops, the brushes are mounted on a spring loaded plate, hopefully you did not break any of those, they are only available from a doner wiper motor. The wires are soldered to the brush leads then run between the magnets, through a hole to the lower contact plate which has the resistor for the high/low speeds and the park circuit contact. There is very little slack on those wires.  You might be able to try some penetrating oil on the two bearings (under the pump star wheel and the motor shaft (pick up one edge of the motor shell to squirt) I included a pic on what is inside the gear box and a bench test diagram. I do have a pile of wiper motors that have been waiting for me to restore after I retire :), but my time now is currently limited.  I might be convinced to take this on if you are not picky about how long it will take :)  

Also, I just remembered something else.  If the motor has not run in a long time, you can get rusty grit inbetween the rotor and the magnets, with the end plate off, take an strong flashlight and make sure there is no rust holding the rotor to the case. If that is the issue, then the only recourse it to take it all apart and glass bead the inside of the case and clean up the rotor.

http://www.fototime.com/70E6A51FFB14E3C/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/E823D56AF1C936C/standard.jpg

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
Kevin,
Thanks for the photo, it was good to see the *insides* of the gearbox- I really hate to be ignorant of something and trying to work on it.. :)  All your comments are good!   It appears that both the wires are connected to gnd, so it's also helpful to know that.   Something was preventing it from turning... and I could not tell what from what I could see.
What's long? years? that would be too long..   if long is a few months? Maybe..    *G*  I'll email you.
Gary

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
Gary, wiper motors run from the "ground" side, meaning the switches are on the ground path side instead of the 12v side.  Backward from the "normal arrangement.  I am KevinW on team Camaro also and have had many posts assiting people in troubleshooting their motors :)  "long" is many years exposed to the elements, like Junk yard finds with the hood off.  If yours has been protected, then it is not likely that that is your problem. rusty bearing/shaft interface and gummed up gears would be my first guess, broken wires on the rotor/brushes would be my 2nd.  You are testing this with the pump removed, correct?  a lot of times the pump freezes up. 

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »
I had the date codes explained to me this way;
277 6 2 B
277=day
6=year
2=shift of day    -  but then 6 in this position wouldn't make sense
B=assembly line
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A