Author Topic: color of front leaf spring bracket?  (Read 10340 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: color of front leaf spring bracket?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
Thanks John!   so it appears I was mistaking 'the flowcoat primer' for being like the 'gm reconditioning black'...?
Can you provide any other details about the exact type of primer that was?  lacquer?  enamel?   Typically a primer is porous and absorbs moisture over time....  the paint used by GM doesn't seem to be very bad in that sense..?

I've always used the GM Reconditioning black as being the most similar paint I could use (to what was used in the factory), but was it?   what would be closer??

It was lacquer primer - don't recall the part number or specs, but in the aftermarket a lot of guys use the GM Reconditioning Black and like it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: color of front leaf spring bracket?
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:47:32 AM »
In order to get the "thin coat look with the runs & puddles" on parts and not have them appear to have been dipped in "plasticoat" I prepped and lightly hit them with the bead blaster them then primed them 1 coat using black primer. Next I thinned black lacquer and literally poured it over the parts... it was so thin that I was concerned that it wouldn't offer adequate protection by itself. (I tried just using thin lacquer however for longevity I decided to epoxy prime then go with the thin coat for visual effect)  

I experimented and ended up stripping and re-doing a few braces about 6-7 times until I achieved the look I wanted.  
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa