Author Topic: Hidden Radio  (Read 28359 times)

Franko

• View Profile
Hidden Radio
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »
Does anybody have any new ideas about hiding a radio or amp under the seat or in the trunk so that I can leave the original radio intact? I really only want to hook up an IPOD or MP3 player and listen to recorded oldies. What about using blue tooth with a unit in the trunk to listen wirelessly? Is there any difference in sound quality? Thanks for any input.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Hidden Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
Frank, after much deliberation, I went with THIS ONE and mounted it under the back seat.

I say "deliberation" because in the past, I've not had very good success with Custom Autosound equipment and was highly reluctant to spend almost $400 on a product I couldn't get much in the way of reviews. I posted on several sites asking if anyone had purchased one of these and if so, how was the quality, but I received zero replies. I ended up taking a chance and so far (approx 3 months), it's been a good radio.

My son installed a Pioneer 1000 watt amp in the trunk with 4 three way speakers (and a sub woofer in the trunk), and I have to say it sounds really good. (as long as he keeps that damn base down!!!) It interfaces with his Iphone and my Ipod, so I'm happy so far. Only time will tell though, and I'm hoping prior issues with other Custom Autosound radios I've owned in the past don't repeat! The amp and sub woofer are overkill in my opinion, but what do I know! I'm old and have no idea what a stereo system should sound like. At least that's what my son says!! I on the other hand, have absolutely NO desire to hear nothing but "boom, boom, boom" as I drive down the street!

The AM/FM mono is still in the dash, and we purchased an antenna "Y" splitter (and a 20' extension for the Custom Autosound under the back seat) so we could run both radios on the same antenna. It works fine, but we rarely listen to the radio. I'm always running my Ipod and my son's always on his Iphone.

The power feed to the AM/FM is also split, but I don't recommend running BOTH radios at the same time on that one feed or it could possibly pop the fuse. If the AM/FM is "on", the Custom Autosound is "off" and vice versa.

It hasn't been cheap ($400 for the Custom Autosound, $250 list for the amp and $300 list for the speakers), but if it lasts several years, it's been worth it.

(List prices but my son has a friend "in the business" so we got the amp and speakers "at cost", so that saved me a few hundred. It's amazing how much this crap is marked up!)

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:07:58 AM »
Excuse me. I've just been informed by my son that there are TWO amps in the trunk! One is a Kicker ZX750.1 (750 watt single channel) just for the subwoofer and the other is the Pioneer 1000 watt, 4 channel amp for the other 4 speakers.

How could I have been so stupid as to not know this!!

Ed

MO

• View Profile

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
Ed you be thumpin'  ;D        ::)
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
I think this would be a good option for those with 67 or 68's. Not cheap though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-Chevrolet-Camaro-and-Pontiac-Firebird-AM-FM-Repro-Radio-/251236794964?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1968%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item3a7ee14254&vxp=mtr

There are two issues with the repop AM/FM radios.

1. They don't have the Delco script on the lens
2. They sound just "okay". (More info HERE.)

Ed you be thumpin'

Boy, no kidding. I can hear Jason coming home 5 miles away by two things.

1. Boom, Boom, Boom
2. The exhaust. The 427 is VERY loud.

Ed

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
I've been looking at this for my current project ... keep the original AM and play your iPhone/iPod through it - http://rediscoveradio.com/

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »
Ed you be thumpin'

Boy, no kidding. I can hear Jason coming home 5 miles away by two things.

1. Boom, Boom, Boom
2. The exhaust. The 427 is VERY loud.

Ed

Ed,

You can admit it......the car is really a 6 cylinder and the extra amp in the trunk has an iPod with a 427 recording taken from a Pinks All Out session going through it that is synced to the gas peddle.  ;)

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
You can admit it......the car is really a 6 cylinder and the extra amp in the trunk has an iPod with a 427 recording taken from a Pinks All Out session going through it that is synced to the gas peddle.

You've discovered my secret Mike!

Ed

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »
Ed,

How do you keep the local gendarmes from hanging you or your son ? My 16 year old got one of our local $180.00 + court costs reminder that turning your stereo to on is not a good idea. He got treated like a terrorist -

Ditto on the Custom Autosound mistake - never again. I have original AM and AM/FM's for all of the cars - also making a pull-out hard case container that I can remove from the car when I don't want it on board, but I have to admit that the new repops look pretty close. I'm tempted to change the lens on one and use it on the '68 -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »
How do you keep the local gendarmes from hanging you or your son ?

This is So Cal, so if you're radio isn't cranked 200 decibels past max, they pull you over for NOT being loud enough!!

Serioulsy, they don't really make noise an issue except at night. Loud cars (exhaust AND music) isn't that big of a deal around here.

Ed

TODD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 02:19:52 AM »
I stuck an alpine in the glovebox, cut the back out and mounted a bracket inside for front support then added a pass-through infrared remote transmitter. Attached an ipod hookup and the stereo remote are all that's on the center console, two 6X9 JBL's in the back and a center pioneer front replacement speaker nice and neat and the system sounds great.
Original 69AM still in the dash no worky but who cares.

Leadfoot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »
Hey guys,

I am looking at doing same in my 69. I found this plate that fills the glovebox and has a nicely cut hole made to receive any 1 din radio. Its ultra clean and only 60$

The guy that built them just sold the line to Classic industries. I spoke to him this week.

See it here. http://tmccustoms.com.     (Under car accessories)

Im getting one as soona s they are in stock!!

Lead.