Author Topic: Need cheap insurance  (Read 11341 times)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Need cheap insurance
« on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
Cheep insurance needed. My town code enforcement officer has issued a summons. I have to register or remove my car, and pay a fine either way. The old officer was OK, if it was under a car cover, the new officer is enforcing the letter of the code. I need to get plates, that means I need insurance. I know insurance has been discussed before, but times change. The car does not move, many parts are in the garage or basement. I need the cheapest policy available. Who would you call?

Thanks,

tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Need cheap insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
Is your car on a street?  in your driveway? or otherwise in view?    If it's undergoing long term restoration and not parked on city/state streets, and it's not stored in an 'unsafe' manner, then why does it have to be registered for the highway?   and whether you have insurance or not is your own decision unless you are endangering others...    I have trouble believing our country/society has gotten this 'UN Free'....????? .. although maybe we have..  :(
PS.  check with one of the classic insurance companies (ANPAC Chrome is one I have and it's very reasonable); they seem very flexible, so ask them if your car is undergoing restoration, can you still ensure it?  It's a 'stated value' insurance company, so if you don't insure it for a large amount, the only issue is liability, and if you aren't driving it..  what liability is there?       http://www.anpac.com/classic-car-insurance/
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Go to your auto insurance company and just add liabilty insurance for it. I think liability is minimum for all states.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
I use Condon and Skelly for the past 25 years.
No complaints here. I never had a claim though but the cost is under $200 a year.
Where I live you can have an uninsured car as long as it was off the public street.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
Many of the collector car insurance company's (i.e. Hagerty) base the premium cost on the automobile replacement value you choose.  Lower the value, lower the premium cost to you.   Might be worth checking out.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
I use Grundy, no problems.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
Go to your auto insurance company and just add liabilty insurance for it. I think liability is minimum for all states.
I know in Texas that liability is all you need to register a vehicle.  But on the same note, in some cities you need to have a current inspection sticker showing in order to park it on the street, driveway, or yard.  Otherwise you have to park it in the back yard behind a concealing fence.

Forgot to mention that parking in a garage with the door closed is permissible without a registration or inspection.  IE, it's OK as long as it can't be seen from the street.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
There is no way they can make you register and insure a car that is not on the street. I would have insurance on it anyway. At least fire and theft. Just call your agent and put it on. It won't be but $100.00 a year max.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
In Oklahoma we can "black tag" the car.  Registration remains valid, and you sign an affidavit saying the car will not be driven.  I had my car black tagged for many years, and just converted to a regular tag last week.  Drove the car for the first time since 1995 or 1996 (can't remember which).

If you can't do that, check with MK insurance.  Not sure if they write policy on a project, but worth checking in to.

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »
There is no way they can make you register and insure a car that is not on the street. I would have insurance on it anyway. At least fire and theft. Just call your agent and put it on. It won't be but $100.00 a year max.

Oh yes they can. I live in Maryland and though not always enforced, there is some law that requires you to have your motor vehicle registered. Any unregistered vehicle is considered "junk" by the county or state. All it takes is one neighbor to complain and the next day there is a notice taped to your door giving you about 30 days to register or remove vehicles. Again, its loosely enforced and I believe is more in effect to deter people from starting personal "junk yards" in a neighborhood. I argued my case with the county rep and my neighbors and I got to know each other a little better and now all is good.

As for insurance, I use Hagerty and they let you state the value so you could keep it low. However, they may require you to send pictures of the locked garage you keep the car in.  :-\

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
John.....YUP.  In my city, it is considered JUNK if all the Registrations and Inspections are not up to date.  Even my enclosed car trailer I keep registered and inspected so as not to fall in the JUNK category.  And as I said above, in Texas, all you need for insurance is liability.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »

Oh yes they can. I live in Maryland and though not always enforced, there is some law that requires you to have your motor vehicle registered. Any unregistered vehicle is considered "junk" by the county or state. All it takes is one neighbor to complain and the next day there is a notice taped to your door giving you about 30 days to register or remove vehicles. Again, its loosely enforced and I believe is more in effect to deter people from starting personal "junk yards" in a neighborhood. I argued my case with the county rep and my neighbors and I got to know each other a little better and now all is good.

As for insurance, I use Hagerty and they let you state the value so you could keep it low. However, they may require you to send pictures of the locked garage you keep the car in.  :-\

John

Most of those ordinances are *city ordinances*, although there may also be some states that have similar.   I had an experience 30 yrs or so ago with my town (Huntsville, AL).   I had a Henry J parked on a concrete pad next to my home.   I kept it locked, clean, air in all the tires, Braked so it couldn't roll.   A neghbor apparently didn't like such views, and I got a notice from the city inspector.   I checked in with them, found out the basis for the ordinance was 'safety'..  ie a lot of such cars could allow small children to climb inside or fall out and get hurt, was a haven for snakes, pests, etc, was an eyesore..  I explained the conditions on my car, told them it was NOT unsafe, and an *eyesore* to one person was beauty to another.. :)     I told them I absollutely hated to see woodpiles and swing sets in my neighborhood, and that I couldn't move the car, it didn't have a motor or trans in it.  I couldn't drive it, thus no need to pay for a license, and that they should go ahead and penalize me so we could hurry to court...
It never happened!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
 You can always scan a current sticker and tape it to the windshield of the unregistered car this way from afar it looks legit.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »
Sounds like some of these states are just money hungry. Why else would you be required to license a vehicle that is not driven.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »

If you can't do that, check with MK insurance.  Not sure if they write policy on a project, but worth checking in to.

Like I mention before. He just needs to call his insurance agent and put fire and theft on it. Its cheap. I had a Harley stored for years that didn't run so that's all I carried on it. It was like $70.00 a year.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:46:28 PM by lcmc »
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77