Author Topic: my 69 Z being restored  (Read 64496 times)

motorman

• View Profile
Re: my 69 Z being restored
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
The 'wild' Chrysler colors (Plum Crazy, LemonLime, etc) were not introduced until the 1970 model year.  I don't recall a 'purple' factory color from any of the manufacturers prior to 1970

Let's not forget the 1967 Camaro available with Royal Plum, which is considered a purple.

i built a 430 cu in tunnel ram drag engine for a camaro that was that color
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »

When you ordered it, how did you specify the color to the dealer?

In 1985, I was shopping for a new Chevy pick up in a shade of green. No greens were offered in the RPO list that year. My regular dealer said no problem, if I was able to wait for a special order. He brought out a large GM book, flipped open to a page of green paint chips and said pick the color you want.  I made my choice and did have to wait for an extended time to get my truck. I happened to see my truck on the carrier going down the freeway being delivered to my dealer. It was a standout next to the other drab earth tones offered that year. 
Remember this was in 1985, computerized ordering and such and I got what I wanted. I'm sure GM was much more  flexible in 69.
I still have my green pickup by the way!
Bob
yep that was how it was done if you worked with a dealer who cared about his customers not just making $$$
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
that is why when i ordered the car i specified EO to the dealer because i was familiar with 65 impalas that color.
you order by the color code number not the color name

So did you order it by the color name or by the paint sample and code in the book?  Paint samples in books do not always look EXACTLY like
they do on a car.  I am not trying to argue, just trying to get the story straight.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
that is why when i ordered the car i specified EO to the dealer because i was familiar with 65 impalas that color.
you order by the color code number not the color name

So did you order it by the color name or by the paint sample and code in the book?  Paint samples in books do not always look EXACTLY like
they do on a car.  I am not trying to argue, just trying to get the story straight.
i picked the color EO from the book and the dealer does the ordering. i know that options are ordered by the code number.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:36:52 PM by motorman »

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:11 AM »
Clem,
I completely believe that is how you ordered it and what you ordered.
From people that actually saw the paint, I'm not convinced that what was received.
At this point, I don't think there's any original paint to compare to, so we'll never know. :)
Kurt S
CRG

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
Clem,
I completely believe that is how you ordered it and what you ordered.
From people that actually saw the paint, I'm not convinced that what was received.
At this point, I don't think there's any original paint to compare to, so we'll never know. :)
quote]i knew what EO looked like  because i had seen 1965 chevys that color,that is what i wanted and that is what i received. i know you guys are trying to cover for jerry but he was flat out wrong and he did not see the original paint. why would i pick EO out of thin air to tell the new owner ??? there is no way the dealer could order a car a certain color and GM paint it a different color without notifying the dealer. i hope you guys are not trying to devalue the car just to protect jerry.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Clem, I don't think anyone here is trying to devalue the car or protect Jerry, during his inspection Jerry still did confirm this was a numbers matching '69 Z28 and that is great news. We had an opportunity to chat a few weeks ago and I found you to be a very pleasant car guy, you definitely knew your stuff and did not seem like someone who would forget most facts especially the color of this car,  you were very clear in our conversation about the color and how you ordered the car. Wish we could just get away from this paint discussion and focus on a very cool restoration of a '69Z.

Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
Clem, I don't think anyone here is trying to devalue the car or protect Jerry, during his inspection Jerry still did confirm this was a numbers matching '69 Z28 and that is great news. We had an opportunity to chat a few weeks ago and I found you to be a very pleasant car guy, you definitely knew your stuff and did not seem like someone who would forget most facts especially the color of this car,  you were very clear in our conversation about the color and how you ordered the car. Wish we could just get away from this paint discussion and focus on a very cool restoration of a '69Z.

i find it very interesting when a special car shows up the experts say that is not posiable. my friend had a 1969 ZL-1 corvette with auto trans and when he decided to come public with the car the experts went nuts saying the car was fake. i worked on the car when it was brand new in 1969 and i knew what a ZL-1 engine was.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »
I'm not covering for anyone. Several people *did* see original paint that was left.
Kurt S
CRG

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
I'm not covering for anyone. Several people *did* see original paint that was left.
the people you say saw the original paint most likely never seen EO or they would have recognized the color . the picture of the inside of the door with the panel pull back should be proof enough of the color. you guys can bar me from the site but i think enough people here agree with me now jerry made a mistake plain and simple and he should be man enough to admit it. 

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
My first glance I thought it was the orchid color from the pic that Jerry posted along with the yellow and red that is there. Same with the door panel pic, looks like orchid to me. That's a color hard to forget. I was trying to convince myself that is was silver but I don't think so anymore.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
Our hs football coach had a chevelle that color,  and later a friend had a 65 Impala SS in evening orchid,  we called it "purple", but what did we know?
Never seen it on a Camaro though. I think its not a bad color; kind of unique looking.  My wife is looking over my shoulder
right now..............she likes it!

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
I grew up near a Chevy dealer in the '60s and am familiar with Evening Orchid; I expect Jerry is too. Neither of us saw it during our lengthy examination of this car prior to restoration. I'm sure that was what you ordered; what you got was something else. What we saw was much lighter than EO.

There is no question in my mind this car was not EO when new so there will never be an apology.
Learning more and more about less and less...

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »
I grew up near a Chevy dealer in the '60s and am familiar with Evening Orchid; I expect Jerry is too. Neither of us saw it during our lengthy examination of this car prior to restoration. I'm sure that was what you ordered; what you got was something else. What we saw was much lighter than EO.

There is no question in my mind this car was not EO when new so there will never be an apology.

there is only 2 guys here who saw the car and says it was not EO but i can produce lot more people who saw this car back in the day and know what color it was. do you believe i am that stupid that i did not know what color i received ?  your opinion is just a opinion and mine is fact.

camaro jock

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2013, 02:32:12 AM »
Produce a picture and end the discussion I cannot believe you owned something 40 years with no picture.This thread has gone to long with no outside proof from you. Move on the car is beautiful in any color. Darrell