Author Topic: Top of cowl paint color line  (Read 15419 times)

Rufcar

• View Profile
Top of cowl paint color line
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
1969 I see many camoros where the firewall black runs along the top of th cowl and then back to under the windshield in the fender corner tops and others where its all the body color. Which is correct?

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Top of cowl paint color line
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »
Top of cowl should be body color and if its a Z28 should have hood stripe color overspray on top of the body color.  Front face of cowl should be black on all cars, and the break line is right at the fillet where the cowl face breaks over to the top panel,  Firewall will have body color under the firewall blackout paint as the blackout is applied last.   A hand held mask was usually used to protect the body color on top of the cowl, so the match line can vary a bit.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:11:21 AM »
Mark this is a ss with a stripe  you got a pic please? Im a rolls/bentley judge and we have difinative edges on this area but they vary signifigenly per model. Tkx jim

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:41:24 AM »
From member OAKLYSS. Is this a good example?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »
The top of the cowl tag should not have body color overspray on it.  The entire car body was painted body color, and then the firewall was blacked out.  That car has had the body color repsrayed, but not the firewall.  The firewall/body color line looks good other than the fact its body color over black instead of black over body color.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
That makes perfect sence. What about the corner area where cowl meets fender everyone I have seen was black?

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »

Here's the post I nabbed the pic from...says it's original paint.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10038.0

The top of the cowl tag should not have body color overspray on it.  The entire car body was painted body color, and then the firewall was blacked out.  That car has had the body color repsrayed, but not the firewall.  The firewall/body color line looks good other than the fact its body color over black instead of black over body color.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »
From the original paint cars I have seen the firewall blackout must have been painted from lower angle upward where the cowl was painted from above. So that lower edges of the trim tag have more black paint and upper edges more body color. The black paint line across the cowl varied greatly. Here is how I replicated it. George

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
Thanks George, thats pretty much how it is in most cars I have owned with small changes to the edges. From    production point it makes sense too. My confusion came in from looking at all the ebay cars and most have the black into the upper fender corners! Even the high end so called ;correct" cars. Being a rolls bentley judge on alot of coachbuilt cars I always need to understsnd what they had in mind.
My car was built lemans blue but was changed to hugger orange many ys,ago. The inside of y cowl was all flat black that I sanded out and have painted the HO. I di not want the correct color but I want my color and parts done cirrectly. In Rolls circles we dont care about original paint but we care that its done properly and high quailty. Jim

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
Here is a pic of mine. The black firewall paint has started to wear and you can see how the 57 Fathom Green is underneath. I know this is an original because I found a VERY faint T marking on the firewall that almost cannot be seen.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »
To give you an idea of how the paint transition varies - I've seen some tags with body color, some blacked out.
Generally, they are blacked out.
Kurt S
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
 Here is a picture from my unrestored 67 4B LOS (with original grime)  :D
Note the blackout didn't make it to the top.
Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
Mickey, I had to look for mine with different lights and differing angles to get a faint photo of my T & B stamp, but I found some of it. Your right side stamps may be preserved under the AC housing, that is where I found them. Here are my stamps in the same area as yours. Also something interesting our cars were built weeks apart but body sequence numbers are 7951 apart. George

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 03:29:04 AM »
As a newbie here what significiance are those body stamp letter/numbers?

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:07 AM »
The best thing to do is read the assembly line procedure as written by John Z.  In the Fisher Body part of the assembly, John explains the use of the "B, P, & T" stamps.

Here is the link to the assembly process.....http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles