Author Topic: 67-Distributor Fake or Real.... learn & stop this crap  (Read 15926 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Re: 67-Distributor Fake or Real.... learn & stop this crap
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
I read the seller's answer to the question, and although I have no idea who's right about the distributor, his response did not leave me with a positive impression. I know I wouldn't like it if I thought I was representing something as authentic, and someone questioned/disagreed with me. But if you are going get involved with the buying and selling of these cars/parts, then you have to expect to be questioned or challenged at times. It's all part of the process, and probably has helped more people avoid getting burned than the other way around.  IMHO
Jimmy V.

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm Away at the moment.   I will post some photos of some factory OEM 67
Distributors when i return... and you be the judge.   There was a real o,ne on ebay at the time these were
Being listed for about half the cost.

SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

67rs/ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:37 AM »
Does any know if 7A 18 is a good date for a 1111170 dist.?
67 rs/ss L48 w/headrest org.37k
67 rs/ss L35 w/headrest project
67 rs/ss L35 w/smog org 78k
67 rs/ss L78 O-O -L201C
68 rs/vert L89

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
Well I am back and just now able to post these authentic photos of factory originals for you all to observe. I will be posting some photos of OEM distributors below. 

I will not disclose what I know on how to determine the fakes from the originals but if you study these you will at least have an idea of what you are looking at.
I hope it helps the good guys out without educating those that would fake them and pass them off as OEM. 

I truly feel bad for the guy who gets one of the fakes and is caught up in the middle thinking it is an OEM. 
If I have crossed anyone in this boat please accept my apologies as you are an innocent by stander and a victim of this as well.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BTW you should know these terms and acronyms... which are sometimes incorrectly used... ( all in the name of $$$) sheezzz

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture  - the part made by the factory and or factory supplier.

NOS = New Old Stock  (of OEM)  - means the left over extras the factory and factory suppliers made... not new reproduction stuff.

Restored = means an OEM part brought back to new condition without changing its original integrity.

Re-manufactured = can only mean that it was an original part made into something else and disclosed as such.

Reproduction = means a newly made part similar to the OEM and often not exact do to copy right laws or lost manufacturing techniques, etc..

Fake = is a part that is not an OEM part being passed as such. Usually due to mucho $$$$$ and greed.  These are the folks who hurt the hobby.

68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
here is another OEM Dist
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
and another OEM Distr
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
and another OEM Distr
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
here is the OEM Distr again of a late production 69 Camaro which is actually the 1970 Camaro... notice the date.
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
The Sellers response to the question on E-Bay was a little funny as he was trying to get his point across and not really hiding anything, by the nature of his response I get the sense he truly believes it's the real deal and offering a money back guarantee to prove his point. I am not an expert with these stamping so don't know either way. I think wilma99 is a Yenko.net member, If it's the same person he usually has some pretty cool cars for sale and is a very active member.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
you 're probably right, and i should have thought more before I posted in that manner... I think that he was either taken and believes it to be real or the distributor he has was poorly restored making it appear to be a fake...  unfortunately some folks have with good intentions destroyed real McCoy parts by trying to make them appear new again...

I suspect he was going on someone else s reassurance and creditability of it being a real McCoy.. but from the photos he posted it strongly appears to not be an OEM.

There are a  number of folks doing business on eBay with fraudulent parts who well know what they are doing.  We see it from Cowl tags, to Vin numbers and to all the rare and Hi Perf. parts as well as to the car themselves being pushed as real just to steal some guys hard earned $$$$$$$$... look at all the fake paperwork be pushed out now... i would be more Leary of any guy with all the paperwork than one without any these days... unfortunately I would guess there are some forgeries out there that are so perfect they fool almost everyone. 

BTW I have personally contacted eBay many times about items that was without a doubt fraudulently advertised and sometimes eBay did something about it and sometimes not. IMHO When it is brought to their (eBays) attention they then have a moral obligation to address the matter regardless of any disclaimers they write and post. 

Also when anything out the norm appears it too brings into suspicion of fraud.  After 40 years of handling, racing and working with Chevrolet parts one learns. 

I had some more photos to post but they are to big and now I cannot get the photo program to reduce them smaller so that will wait for another day. 

68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »
I have looked at many 1111480 distributors.   Haven't looked at that many 1111170 distributors.  However, I am inclined to say that the one Wilma99 has for sale is a real stamp.  Just been glass beaded over which changes the appearance slightly.

He does sell lots of restamps, but represents them as restamps.

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
here is a 169 dist that appears to have been sand or glass blasted..  the housings finish is ruined. This distributor could be real or faked.. best to pass on these...

BTW you can set up any dist to run just like the Hi Perf ones... you may need to change the weights, springs and re-curve it etc...
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
Also for those of you who are looking for a distributor  ... feel free to email me... I will look at it and give you my evaluation about it.   ;D

Right now there are quite a few distributors on eBay for $,$$$ ...  and IMHO not OEM so BEWARE.   :(
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv