Author Topic: Black paint on rocker question.  (Read 24340 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Black paint on rocker question.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 04:25:00 AM »
It's not three different *colors*, it's just three different surfaces which received differeing amounts of paint.   The rockers were pianted quickly apparently, and the more vertical surfaces got more paint then the horizontal and angled surfaces..  ie.   same paint..  different degrees of coverage. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:54 AM »
It's not three different *colors*, it's just three different surfaces which received differeing amounts of paint.   The rockers were pianted quickly apparently, and the more vertical surfaces got more paint then the horizontal and angled surfaces..  ie.   same paint..  different degrees of coverage. :)

Makes sense. Thats what it looks like on your car. Thanks for the confirmation.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
Mike, to me it looks as though Gary's rocker picture shows primer, semi-gloss black (on the vertical rocker surfaces), and body-colored overspray. The rocker black may appear different because of how the light is hitting the various surface angles.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Mike, to me it looks as though Gary's rocker picture shows primer, semi-gloss black (on the vertical rocker surfaces), and body-colored overspray. The rocker black may appear different because of how the light is hitting the various surface angles.

Hey Tim I am trying to confirm which paint was used on the rocker panel. If it was the same paint as used on the black stripe or the black out panel on big block cars, which appeared to be more of a semi gloss than the gloss of the body stripes.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
SOMEBODY has to know this. I would think semigloss, satin, flat? Like the tail panel makes sense. I mean how many different kinds of paint was mixed in a given day?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
The CRG 'exterior' page, section 7, states semi-gloss:
"Certain first-generation Camaro models had semi-gloss black-out paint applied to the body to influence the appearance. There were two types: a "ground-effect" black-out applied to the rocker-panel/body-sill area for certain exterior trim options and a blacked-out tailpan applied to SS-396 cars."
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
Because of how the light and camera angle changes the appearance of the gloss it's hard to nail down. I just painted my rockers & tail-pan and used these pictures for reference. The gloss black with satin black tail-pan is on a 5000 mile 69, the other picture is over spray at the front of my rocker. That area is protected from road rash and shows it was pretty glossy like the tail-pan. I will try to get a picture of my finish and ask my painter about his mix. I think he got it spot on. George

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »
Jerry's book says 75 to 85 % gloss.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »
Jerry's book says 75 to 85 % gloss.
That's what uncut and unbuffed lacquer looks like. Using a screen or photo to determine exact gloss levels is not accurate. Neither is some of the actual reference people use to hit a target. Trying to explain this to non painters is often futile. Here's a link with another original tailpanel photo: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217976

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
Ok. Looks like satin or flat is out. Pics show a shine but not too glossy.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
Sauron327, Very true statement. When I was trying to come up with a formula for amount of gloss and a reference for my painter best info was a sample. His 35 year experience and being a perfectionist told him how to mix & spray the paint. With today's 2 stage paints it doubles the variables that can effect the finish. 75-80% gloss doesn't mean the same to all painters. Thank you for all your paint & body info, its a great asset to the forums.
Here are 2 pictures of my finish, looks better than the photo. George

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
Sauron327, Very true statement. When I was trying to come up with a formula for amount of gloss and a reference for my painter best info was a sample. His 35 year experience and being a perfectionist told him how to mix & spray the paint. With today's 2 stage paints it doubles the variables that can effect the finish. 75-80% gloss doesn't mean the same to all painters. Thank you for all your paint & body info, its a great asset to the forums.
Here are 2 pictures of my finish, looks better than the photo. George

Thanks George that is exactly what I was looking for. I will pass the photos and info along to my painter. Now that I can see what it looks like I can make a much better decision. Your looks great. Turned out perfect in my book. Also while I am at it. Would the gloss on the rockers be the same gloss used on trim/accessories, like air cleaner, fender braces. pulleys etc. The problem I find with all of the charts and lists that I have seen, just indicate, Gloss, 60% or 30%. This is all open to interpretation by owner and painter. So many different brands and types of paint and applications.

What did you use on the bottom of the car?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

bsfs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »
Great stuff.

Thanks to all who particpated. Now we know what the right % should be.
Love those detailed photos of the freshly painted rockers.

This is truly a great site!!!!

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 04:46:30 AM »
We are close now. Just need some paint codes and we are good to paint! Great pics indeed.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
The tail-pan picture is slightly out of focus, here is a better picture. 69Z28freak My floor was just slightly duller than the tail & rockers. Here is before and after shots, but before blue over spray was added. George