Author Topic: Engine photos  (Read 42380 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Re: Engine photos
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2016, 04:15:59 AM »
You are killing me with these pictures!!! WOW!  Looks like it is made from clay and not wood. You can see the rectangular vents in the hood that were in your previously posted pictures of the prototype. I always wondered why Ford never ran any kind of scoop.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2016, 05:04:24 AM »
Does a '68 Mustang hood fit properly on a '69 Mustang?
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »
No, not even close. Why?

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
I noticed how the mocked up scoop goes all the way back and covers the air intake grill on the cowl. I wonder if they were thinking of connecting the air box to the cowl and using scoops at the front of the hood to feed it. Does not look like it would open correctly with the piece over the cowl vent. Looks like it would hit it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »
No, not even close. Why?

I thought you were saying the depressions that are on the blue '68 hood were filled on the '69 Mustang with the clay scoop/raised area.  I guess I was not picking up on what exactly you were pointing out.

I would agree that there seems to be no way that the '69 hood could open properly unless they had some special hinges that moved it forward before proceeding upward.  I would think the whole reason for the raised area would be to clear a tall induction setup.  If you want to take in air at the cowl, just put a scoop there and forget about the hood.  You don't really even need a scoop at the cowl as the high pressure is already there without a scoop assisting it.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
The blue 69 prototype has two rectangular pieces of sheet metal riveted to the hood like they covered up some holes. Not sure what for but you can see them clayed over in the cowl hood picture.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »
The blue 69 prototype has two rectangular pieces of sheet metal riveted to the hood like they covered up some holes. Not sure what for but you can see them clayed over in the cowl hood picture.

Those two hood plates are more visible here with paint on. Its these plates that were one of the reasons I thought the car posted earlier without paint is likely this car. This photo was taken in December 1968.

Fran Hernandez Collection photo.