Author Topic: Niagara Falls Ontario 69 RS/SS vert current owner  (Read 17421 times)

rick 67

• View Profile
Niagara Falls Ontario 69 RS/SS vert current owner
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:04 AM »
  I am looking for the current owner of a hugger orange 1969 camaro rs/ss convertible white top white hockey stick stripes 350/350 automatic, console car  ss hood rear spoiler. You would have bought the car in Niagara Falls Ontario from Ray Clatworthy.
   In 1977 when I bought the car it needed an engine rebuild (rings shot) not having the money for it instead I bought a used 283 (yeah I know, I am a dummy !) had it installed for total cost for and install for 150 bucks. To make a long story short Rays girlfriend/ wife was the original owner of the car. He sold it to a friend of mine in 1975 (he baffed the motor) For the 7 years I owned the car Ray callled every year trying to buy it back. Finaly in 1983 I relented and sold it back.
   I was always under the impression Ray got the block and heads for the car at that time. Turns out the guy that had them reneged and held onto them when he auctioned all the stuff he had hoarded about ten years ago. Now almost 30 years to the day I sold the car I am at a green beer day function in town talking to girl I used to work with who also had a 69 vert. She had heard I had bought another camaro and yapped about it for bit when she told me it was her husband who had the block,heads etc. He comes over and yep he has them.He is a local car restorer which I never even knew until then. He says they should go back to the original car which is why I am here. By a fluke I got a hold of Ray, He has sold the car knows the current owner but has not got back to me as yet.
  So long story but as bad as taking the motor out was back then when high octane gas was on the way out and the guys had to drive them gas guzzlers to the airport to fuel up I was getting 18 to 20 mpg in town and 28 to 30 on the highway !
  So if anyone here knows the current owner please contact me. I would love to rectify a 37 year old mistake. I don't have the VIN but will try and get pics of the stampings. The only finders fee I am looking for is some pics of the car ( mine all vanished during a divorce)

Thanks  Rick

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: Niagara Falls Ontario 69 RS/SS vert current owner
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »
It should have the partial vin stamped by the oil filter. We can figure out the rest. Good luck with your hunt !
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
  Working on the partial VIN.Talked to the guy I sold it to again. Seems he put a "date" correct 350/300hp in the car out of another camaro. He would like to buy the block "in case" someone comes looking for it. Well if you deal in cars and you know who you sold it to, what would be the problem even if the car had sold again to make a call and get a name ? something fishy going on. I think the block and heads have been safe for 30 years just where they are !

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
 Well I have some partial info. block casting is T0906HB  looks like tonawanda sept sixth 350/300 horse camaro engine.  Guy who has block did a quick clean but had nothing to clean paint off to make the partial vin more legible so here is what we have so far on partial VIN ( 9N?)---386    Hopefully next week will have the rest of it

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »
OK guys it has taken a year of looking and searching but I think I have found the owner of my car. Her Hubby at the time bought back for 1n 1983 from me. She sold it in 1990. I am now 7 years closer to finding it !
   I received an email yesterday from her, a friend had seem my post either here or at TEAM CAMARO and passed it on.
So the vital info is the vin which she still had on a receipt. 124679N 509386
So owner info I have so far
 Linda ???   1969-75  Midland on.  Not sure of Maiden or Married name
Mike Garbutt 75-77 Collingwood on.
Me Rick Barrett 77-83  Collingwood on.
Linda ??? again 83-90 Niagara Falls  Not sure of Maiden Or Married name but email had  "GAZE" as the last name

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
You may want to post it in the orphans section as well, since it seems the mission is to get the original motor back with the car.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 01:13:20 AM »
Two missions re-unite motor with car and for me to get some pics of the car of which I have none. I will post VIN in orphans section,

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
 The car is most likely not in Niagara Falls, I have received an email from the person I sold it to. She sold it in 1990. I have a thread on Team Camaro and have talked to members in the Niagara region who have not seen a 69 hugger orange vert. As a prospective buyer I can request or buy myself "used vehicle information package" in Ontario from the government for a car I want to buy.  Maybe I will try that also.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
That would be neat to find out. Update this thread with what you are able to find out please.

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:13 PM »
 Well great news. I received my "package" from the government. Since it only contains current owners name and town I had to Canada411 and google the name. Well I found the owner, called him and said well this is coming out of the blue but do you own a 69 Camaro vert. He said its not for sale. I then said well I don't want to buy it but I am a former owner, then he really perked up. I told him I knew where the original block was and it was for sale. As it turns outs out the motor currently in the car needs a ring job (see first post on why I changed the motor in the first place) and he is very interested. Turns out the car is 40 miles away or 15miles across Georgian Bay in Midland Ontario. Gave him my email and will forward the  name and # of the guy who has the block now. He told me the car is in need of restoration anyway so having the matching #s motor will be great start. I will post some pics when I receive them.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
Congratulations!  Persistence pays off!   :)

Paul

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:53:59 PM »
Wow--good story ,ask him to get on board here and post some pics.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13:21 PM »
SO out of thousands of Camaros, this could be the first I have heard of re-uniting the original motor with the Car after so many years apart.
WTG Rick you are definitely a Camaro fan at heart.

The current owner owes you a nice cold beer!

rick 67

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:36 AM »
  Well there is more to the story, some twists and turns and some fibs. mostly surrounding the salesman who owned the car in the early 70's  owned it again in the 80's and sold it in 2001. He made something as simple as not giving me a name last year into a year long frustrating search. Most of the info I thought I knew when I bought it was wrong and most of the info he gave the guy he sold it to in 2001 was wrong.
    On the other hand tomorrow I am meeting the former owner of my 67 rs. He is not who I bought the car from but the owner before and the one who did the body work and paint. Had a great phone conversation And I have to be near his hometown anyway. It always should be so easy !

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »
SO out of thousands of Camaros, this could be the first I have heard of re-uniting the original motor with the Car after so many years apart.
Really? I know of more than 10.....
Kurt S
CRG

anything