Author Topic: 3 Speed Auto Steering Column to 4 Speed on the floor Question  (Read 3006 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
I am changing from a 3 speed auto on the column to a 4 speed on the floor and I am wondering if I can still use my steering column. Obviously I need to remove the shifter handle. However, what other changes do I need to make. Or would it be easier/make more sense to buy another unit. If using my existing is inexpensive and an easy swap, I would prefer to go that route.

Thanks
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: 3 Speed Auto Steering Column to 4 Speed on the floor Question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 04:34:45 AM »
In my opinion, I would pull the original column out and keep it intact, put a donor column in, or upgrade (which is really the best case) to a tilt column. You can pick up a non-tilt one for a floor shift fairly inexpensively, just takes patience and looking. I know a tilt column is pricey, but in my case, this old body just doesn't seem to slide so easily behind the wheel of the old Huggers any more.

Depends also on how original you want the look to be - your linkage is going to change, depending on if you use a factory style Hurst reverse lock out. Bellcrank may work, but you'll have to look up the parts to decide the differences. Shouldn't be terribly difficult -

Regards,
Steve

P.S. Check out eBay auction #321088117709 - Canadian, but looks pretty decent, good price so far, no bids. Good luck -
( I should qualify the Canadian statement before I catch heck - I only meant North of the Border for shipping considerations !)
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: 3 Speed Auto Steering Column to 4 Speed on the floor Question
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:25:35 AM »
In my opinion, I would pull the original column out and keep it intact, put a donor column in, or upgrade (which is really the best case) to a tilt column. You can pick up a non-tilt one for a floor shift fairly inexpensively, just takes patience and looking. I know a tilt column is pricey, but in my case, this old body just doesn't seem to slide so easily behind the wheel of the old Huggers any more.

Depends also on how original you want the look to be - your linkage is going to change, depending on if you use a factory style Hurst reverse lock out. Bellcrank may work, but you'll have to look up the parts to decide the differences. Shouldn't be terribly difficult -

Regards,
Steve

P.S. Check out eBay auction #321088117709 - Canadian, but looks pretty decent, good price so far, no bids. Good luck -
( I should qualify the Canadian statement before I catch heck - I only meant North of the Border for shipping considerations !)

Thanks Steve, great suggestions. I will check that ebay listing out.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro